Question

Questions about "Update order" event on Shopify

• 16 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

Looking for some help with Shopify Zaps.

Currently, we have it triggering on new orders being created. However, I’d like it to also trigger on “Updated Orders” but was hoping to get some clarity on how that works?

-What qualifies as an update to an order? Will it trigger on any changes such as added/deleted tags, changes to ‘Additional Details’ and using the Edit order function.

-I want every new order to Zap and every update to an order, does ‘updated orders’ automatically include new order creation or do I need to have these as two seperate zaps?

For some context on my setup: Order created in Shopify, then it’s Zapped to Google Sheets where I ‘process the data’ then exported to a few different end nodes like google calendar and another sheet for order picking. Currently, when a customer needs to request a change to their order, I need to update it in all of those places. I want to be able to just update within Shopify. 

I assume that when the order is updated it will create a new record, not modify the old one. So I will have to handle that within the spreadsheet to say ‘if multiple records for this order number, use most recent’. Is that the best practice or is there a way to update within Zapier itself?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Shawn_L - thanks for writing to us! I understand that you’re looking to update just within Shopify. It sounds like you may need two separate Zaps to make it bi-directional. You seem to be on the right track with “processing the data” with Google Sheets. Here’s a search of the help articles on the community that suggest that a lookup table on Google Sheets may help you make a conditional lookup table that fulfills your need of “use most recent order number only” requirement.

Search: https://community.zapier.com/search?q=lookup%20tab&content_type%5B0%5D=article

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hey @Shawn_L!

Did you manage to setup an Updated Order Zap with a Lookup Row in Google Sheets action? You would need a Lookup Spreadsheet Row and Update Spreadsheet Row action in your Zap to make updates to existing orders in your Sheet: https://zapier.com/help/doc/finding-and-updating-rows-in-google-sheets

Hope this helped!