Best answer

New To Zapier, How to hook Outlook "email received" to REST Service?

Badge

I have a client who wants to have Outlook send email content when an email is received to her database. I think one way to do that would be to hook Zapier into Outlook (I don’t know how to do this part yet) and have Outlook (via Web hook?) send the email data to the REST service. From the REST service, I can write to the database myself.

Gmail would be the next integration. Assuming it would work the same way with Zapier?

Is Zapier a good solution for these situations?

I don’t know how to setup web hooks in Outlook, but the REST part and the database part I can do with no problems.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by GetUWired 6 May 2021, 16:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Morkus 

What database app is the client using?

You can search the available Zap app integrations here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: ???
  2. Action: Outlook - Send Email
Badge

Thanks for your reply!

FileMaker Server. Claris (makers of FileMaker) have “Claris Connect” which is Zapier like, but I’m not sure it really gives any more bang for the buck since the database is on AWS not in the proprietary FM cloud.

---

I think the trigger would be when Outlook receives an email.

The action would be to send that email to a database. In this case, the database isn’t supported directly by Zapier so I’m thinking the email data could be sent to a REST endpoint that I control and could then use to write to the FM database using their Data API.

Does that make sense?

How do you connect Zapier to Outlook? Would the client have to do that using his Outlook credentials?

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Morkus 

Try these Zap steps

1. Trigger: Outlook - New Email
  2. Action: Filter (only for matching emails - e.g. with a certain Subject)
  3. Action: Webhook (to use API) https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations#triggers-and-actions
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Morkus 

Apps can be connected to Zapier here: https://zapier.com/app/connections

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Morkus 

The client would need to authenticate their outlook account to Zapier. You would need a flow like the attached.  

Badge

Great info. So the client would go to the connections link and sign up using his credentials. That gets the connection into Zapier. Got it.

My only other question is does the web hook allow Zapier (or Outlook, still confused on this) to send the data to an arbitrary REST endpoint? It wasn’t clear from the webhook link above.

Thanks so much!

Badge

Hi @Morkus 

The client would need to authenticate their outlook account to Zapier. You would need a flow like the attached.  

Nice! So, the POST will send the email body content to an arbitrary URL (my REST service)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yes you can configure the Post hook to some url that you are hosting. You can then choose to map only certain fields to be sent or leaving blank should send all data from the previous step. 

Badge

Yes you can configure the Post hook to some url that you are hosting. You can then choose to map only certain fields to be sent or leaving blank should send all data from the previous step. 

You are awesome. Thank you!