Best answer

New files in Google Drive subfolders

Userlevel 1

I want to create a Zap between Google Drive and Email: when a new file is uploaded to a Google Drive folder, an email will be sent to me.

Problem is in that Google Drive folder, I have multiple subfolders, using for multiple uploaders. If I use Zapier for checking new files in the parent folder, is Zapier also checking the subfolders?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Danvers 2 April 2020, 13:03

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Hung Thanks for your question!

Unfortunately it’s not possible to set up a Zap that triggers from subfolders in Google Drive. We do have a feature request open for this, but we’re not able to build it currently because it’s not possible with  the Google Drive the API (the bit of code that allows Google Drive to talk to other apps). I’ve added you to the feature request in case that changes in the future and we’ll able to add the optoin to trigger from files in subfolders. 

I have also the same set of requirements, where I have the name of my newly created folder and it contains multiple subfolders and I have to scan all google sheets in that subfolders.

Userlevel 1

I’d like this feature too. Please can you add me to the feature request, to be updated if this changes? Thanks! @Danvers 

Maybe a solution would be to use the Google API to scan the drive folder and find all sub folders.
Then use the zapier API to add a new zap for each sub folder found. @Danvers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have added everyone on this topic to our feature request that Danvers mentioned. Please note that this does not mean the feature will be built (as the API doesn’t allow it yet,) it just means that you’re expressing interest. Thank you all!

Userlevel 1

I have added everyone on this topic to our feature request that Danvers mentioned. Please note that this does not mean the feature will be built (as the API doesn’t allow it yet,) it just means that you’re expressing interest. Thank you all!

where can we see the feature request, its status and priority?

thanks

Please add me to the list of people who are interested in this feature. Is there a webhook workaround here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Judah Ferst I’ve added you to the list of interested users. I’m not sure if there would be a webhook workaround if the API doesn’t support this - if you do find a workaround we’d love to know!

@Jbmixed Feature requests are internal facing only, sorry about that. I can tell you that it’s currently marked as not possible due to the API of Google Drive not supporting the action. 

Any updates on this request? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Any updates on this request? 

Hello, the last update provided by Danvers is the last one we have which is why it’s marked as a Best Answer. Would you like to be added to the bug report to receive updates? @dd2mywork 

I’m also interested!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @amnahashmi

I’ve added you to the list of interested users as well. We’ll be in touch by email to let you know if it becomes possible in the future! :)

I’m afraid to ask, but are there any updates or some workarounds for this feature? :D

Why automate.io can handle this with subfolders? I have some reminders configured by automate.io. I got notified on changed files in subfolders - no problem.

automate.io stops working. They recommended to change to zapier. Now I use zapier and would like to use the same features as before.

Please escalate this issue or ask why automatio.io is able to handle with subfolders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We don’t currently have an update on this feature, I’m sorry. 

@SKR I have passed this information on to our team; it wasn’t previously possible for us to build this feature due to the way that the Google API works, but if automate.io was able to do it, we’ll take another look. 

Thanks for checking again.
See the screenshot: “if no folder is selected, will be triggered for any folder” → that’s what we need.

Has anyone tried to do this using a filter?  As in, trigger on *any* file, but have a filter somehow check the “pathname” to see if it contains the folder you are interested in?  Trying to do that now, but of all the fields I can filter on for Google Drive, there doens’t seem to be a clear “pathname”.  I see “Parents” but it’s not plain text, and miscellaneous other parent-related fields, which maybe somehow could be used.

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to ask.

I noticed that using this trigger only seems to activate when you CREATE Google doc files.

Is there a way to detect when someone UPLOADS a file in your google drive folder?

Example a new Google Meet/chat audio/video file is created. Will it trigger?

Because from my testings, it only triggers with google docs files (docs, spreadsheets) but not anything else or uploaded.

Is there a way to detect when someone UPLOADS a file in your google drive folder?

As it happens, just yesterday I created my first automation using this trigger, and it worked fine in the test, and today was my first run “for real”, and it worked too.  But in my case, it’s not an “upload” per se.  I’m downloading a video file from a website to a folder on my Chromebook that is automatically synced to Google Drive.  And then I actually move it manually from the original folder to the folder I’m watching for the automation.  It’s the move operation that triggers the Zap.  And it doesn’t trigger automatically like some do - I guess Zapier is polling Google Drive every fifteen minutes or so.

As it happens, just yesterday I created my first automation using this trigger, and it worked fine in the test, and today was my first run “for real”, and it worked too.  But in my case, it’s not an “upload” per se.  I’m downloading a video file from a website to a folder on my Chromebook that is automatically synced to Google Drive.  And then I actually move it manually from the original folder to the folder I’m watching for the automation.  It’s the move operation that triggers the Zap.  And it doesn’t trigger automatically like some do - I guess Zapier is polling Google Drive every fifteen minutes or so.

Good suggestions, will give it a try to use the MOVE.

But still, it won’t be automatic because you still have to MOVE the file from one part of the drive to another.

Good suggestions, will give it a try to use the MOVE.

But still, it won’t be automatic because you still have to MOVE the file from one part of the drive to another.

Well, I’m not saying I know you *have* to use move.  That just happens to be what I’m doing.  I do it for a specific reason - after the file finished uploading, I add a description, so this can automatically be added as the description on YouTube as well.  Then I move.  So for me it couldn’t be automatic anyhow.  But, I’m not at all convinced this is necessary - seems very likely to me the automation would be just as happy to fire immediately on upload if I were watching that folder.  Are you sure you are waiting fifteen minutes to see if it triggers?  And are you sure there isn’t something else preventing it from triggering?

Hi there,

Indeed it would be usefull to target only a subfolder PLUS its subfolders !!

Any news about this issue ? Are you working on it ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @sylvain IT 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

We have a use case to watch a series of folders. Each of these folders are known ahead of time, but at present we need to create a separate Zap for each intended folder due to the event and trigger restrictions. Google Drive folder structure “Deals/{State}/{Market}/[new project folder creation]”. We want to watch all {Market} folders for new projects created inside of them. This equates to a Zap app for each {Market} folder in our hierarchy. Our logic is the same regardless of the folder.

Example of current:

• Zap trigger permits a single folder to watch for new children folders
  • Separate Zap app for each folder to watch

Example of desired:

• Zap trigger permits an enumeration of folders to watch for new children folders
  • A single Zap app can be created that watches the explicit set of folders for new child content creation

Is this feasible?