Best answer

Need to automate the creation of a Dropbox New File Zap

• 16 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Currently I have a multi-step zap that, among other things, creates a Dropbox folder with a specific name.

I would like to use that Dropbox folder name to create a new Dropbox zap that uses the folder name as the folder in the New FIle in Folder trigger for Dropbox.

Can anyone see a way to do this?

I tried just adding a new step to my existing multi-step zap, however the New File in Folder trigger isn’t available at that point. 

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 22 May 2020, 12:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

What kind of file do you want to add in the folder? Is it a file that’s uploaded from somewhere else, or a plain text file?

If you want to do this in the same Zap then there is the option to create a text file using the  Dropbox Create Text File action. If the file that you need to upload is given in one of the previous steps of the Zap, then you could use the Upload file action. 

If that doesn’t sound like it will work, could you share a few more details about what you’re looking to do? For example, what’s the file that you want to add?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sorry, I think you’ve misunderstood. 

I will not be creating any files in the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox folder is shared with my clients (each client gets their own Dropbox folder). My clients will be putting items in their own Dropbox folders when they have items they want me to review.

I just want to get an email when *any* file of *any* type is added to the Dropbox folder. This way a client can put items in their Dropbox folders, and I will be made aware of their actions via email. 

As it stands, if they forget to email me that they’ve added something, some items fall through the cracks because I don’t know they’ve been added to the Dropbox folder.

So each time my existing Zap runs, and creates a client-specific Dropbox folder, I am hoping to have my Zap also create another Zap to monitor for new files in the newly created Dropbox folder and then send me an email.

Is that a little more clear?

Thanks!

Jeff

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@JeffB 

It’s possible, however, when you create a Dropbox zap with the trigger “New File In Folder” you’re required to set the zap to watch one specific folder.

That means, every time you create a new folder for a client, you’ll need to manually create a (or duplicate an existing) zap for that folder.

Not ideal, I know!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I knew that a Zap would have to be created for each folder -- which is why I asked my original question: is it possible to create a Zap FROM a Zap?

Instead of creating a Zap to monitor each folder manually, I was hoping to have the Zap that creates the folder also create the Zap that would monitor the Dropbox folder for a file add.

So far, I don’t see a way. 

Jeff 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@JeffB - Nope, it’s not possible to create a zap from another zap. 

Would be cool if you could, though!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Agreed. Would be very cool.

Thanks, Andrew.