Question

Moving a new folder (with a file in it) from one Google drive folder to another based upon a name of the folder

• 7 February 2022
  • 17 replies

Badge

This seems like an easy concept, but I get stuck in the filtering part and don’t know how to move forward. I’m able to set up the trigger, the trigger seems happy to find the folder with a specific name within the title of the folder, but then I cannot seem to find the right Zap part to take that folder and move it to another. Any time I use a upload or copy Zap, it asks for ways to identify the file or folder, offering up names of files and folders that currently exist in the search folder (“Title:Spongebobsquare”). I cannot seem to make it understand that it needs to identify files that don’t exist yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @drrichar 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, and make sure to include how each Zap step has the variables mapped between Zap steps.

Check this help article:

Badge

Maybe the issue is what the Guide was describing I do. It is asking me to map to a specific folder that exists now, and not one that will be created in future. I need it to find and then move a folder (and contained file) when it gets created.

Badge
  • Trigger 1 is New Folder in Google Drive (that one is set up and appears straightforward) 
  • Next is Find Folder (Here is where the problem arises. I cannot identify a Folder Name, as the step requires, because there is not a new one created yet since there has been no new submission. And, with each new submission, it will have a different name, and that will trigger the next options)
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar

Perhaps you can outline a real specific example for us to trace the data flow between the apps you are using.

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar 

Thanks for posting the screenshots.

Are you able to outline a specific example with real details in order for us to better understand the data flow and what you are trying to do in each Zap step?

In step 2 are you always trying to move the Folder detected in step 1 to the same place?
If yes, then simply select the destination parent Folder.

Badge

I would be moving the new folder created depending upon a clinician’s name parsed from the folder’s name. That name gets created when the folder is created (submitted newly to the original folder). Ex: John Doe (name of person)Jessica (name of clinician) (date)

Badge

In the above case, this folder would go to Jessica’s folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar 

I think you may have a difficult time reliably trying to parse the Folder Name to get the different parts.

Formatter steps can be used to Split Text: https://zapier.com/blog/zapier-formatter-guide/#split

BUT parsing full names can be unreliable due to names having these possible conditions:

1. prefixes
  2. suffixes
  3. middle name(s)
  4. multiple first names
  5. multiple last names

Badge

Thank you for your thoughts. However, I think it may be simpler because when someone completes a form in another program (that places the new submission into the Google Drive folder), it will include the name (Jessica Evans, LISW-S or Colleen Barrows, LPCC) based upon a selection in the form that specifically spells out their name exactly as it appears as a drop-down selection. There is no chance of their name not appearing exactly as selected, so I can limit what it parses for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar 

Please clarify in what form app the data originates.

Badge

Jotform

(I had attempted an integration directly with Jotform, but kept receiving text responses instead of the complete file. I had thought it would be easier to simply move the file and folder from one drive folder to another instead, as Jotform is integrated with my Google drive)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar

Are you collecting File uploads on the Jotfrom?

If yes, are multiple Files uploaded OR can multiple Files be uploaded?

You may want to try these Zap steps:

1. Trigger: Jotform - New Submission
  2. Action: GDrive - Create Folder
    1. Designate under which Parent Folder
  3. Action: GDrive - Upload File (TBD if needed)
    1. Map the GDrive Folder ID variable from step 2 for where to upload the File
  4. Action: GDoc - Create GDoc from Template (TBD if needed)
    1. Map the GDrive Folder ID variable from step 2 for where to save the GDoc Template
Badge

Yes, I am trying to. 

The file will go into a specific folder on the GDrive based upon the therapist’s name that gets embedded into the name of the file when it is created (Jessica’s files submitted go to her folder on the GDrive, and so on)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@drrichar 

Are the files uploaded as part of the Jotform by the user, OR are you referring to files generated by Jotform for the submission?

On the Jotform are you collecting Patient Name and Therapist Name as separate fields?

Badge

I’m not sure I am clear on that question. The folders (with files inside of them) are generated by Jotform when a new client creates a submission. When that folder is created, I have set it up so that it collects the client’s name, the therapist selected, and the date of submission. That is what becomes the title of the folder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi there, @drrichar! Thanks for stopping by. 

At this point, I might recommend dropping an email to our support team! You can even link them directly to this community topic so you can show what steps you’ve taken thus far. They’re a great help and wonderful at troubleshooting specific workflows to get you back on track.

Keep us updated how you’re getting along!