Best answer

Move a file with a specific name to a new folder in Dropbox

• 21 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1

Heey there, i wantet to ask if it's possible to make a Zap where, all the files wit a specific word in they're filename, gets moved to another Dropbox folder?

for example:

I have a folder called Fabio. so i upload a few files:

hello.pdf

hello(test).pdf

so in this case the specific word is (test)

hello(test).pdf should now be moved to the folder: office

the other file should stay there.

i hope you guys can help me

Thanks alot!

icon

Best answer by Matt 23 February 2020, 23:17

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @CboyNYC ,

Circling back to see if you were able to troubleshoot your Zap and if it is now working correctly! 

If you are having any issues, just let us know what your trigger is and the method by which you are selecting the file to be moved and we can dig deeper!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@CboyNYC Hmm, with only had the .txt issue reported when uploading files, we’ve not seen it with moving files (because the file already exists). 

What’s the trigger of this Zap? And how are you selecting the file that needs to be moved? By using the dropdown or a Custom value?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

After the move, can you use the Rename File action to change from a txt to wav?

I managed to create a Zap where I could move a Gmail file attachment to a specific folder on DropBox. The wav file maintained its integrity. Unfortunately, I can’t get the Move from one DropBox folder to another Zap to work. The file is turned into a txt file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That is strange. I’ll let someone from Zapier chime in. :relaxed:

Hey Matt. Thanks for the quick response! Really appreciate it. So the paragraph “Uploading a file...” is copied from the Zapier Website and as I mentioned, I don’t really understand it either. I’ll put the text from the Zapier Website and the “Common Problems with DropBox” page below and quote it as I should have done initially. Cheers!

Uploading a file creates a text file instead of what I expect

The Dropbox app requires file objects to be passed along during a Zap, and will not download files from a URL. One may consider using a Gmail 'Send Email' action as you can provide a public URL and create a file object that Dropbox can use.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

You say that Dropbox app won’t download files from a URL.

But then you suggest using GMail “as you can provide a public URL that Dropbox can use” ?

I’m lost. Limitation / Bug of the Dropbox app?

I’m trying to do the same thing but the zap turns a .wav file into a .txt file. Apparently this is a common problem with DropBox. 

Uploading a file creates a text file instead of what I expect

The Dropbox app requires file objects to be passed along during a Zap, and will not download files from a URL. One may consider using a Gmail 'Send Email' action as you can provide a public URL and create a file object that Dropbox can use.

I don’t really understand the above, but would love my Zap to work as you’d expect: Simply move a file from one folder to another. @Matt. Any thoughts? Thanks all!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes. This should be totally possible. You'd need a three step zap.

Trigger: Dropbox - New File In Folder

Step2: Filter by Zapier - Name (from step 1) contains test

Step3: Action Dropbox - Move File in Dropbox