Best answer

Mailchimp>Airtable Fields not populating

Userlevel 1

I am trying to get the data from my email list to import into Airtable. It refuses to bring in the #opens and the #link click categories, even though I have mapped them correctly.

I believe I have the fields mapped correctly but I”m not entirely sure. I just sent out another email last night and it pulled in everything but the opens and clicks. 

Can you please advise on what I need to do? Is this user error, I don’t use Zapier that much…

icon

Best answer by aaron_avl 20 May 2020, 14:50

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi there @craftaboo ,

When you run this Zap workflow, it doesn't output anything at all in the Airtable table?

What if you make a “Test action” with some test data. Does that work?

It's hard to figure out something like this without any view on the input, output, format etc.

~Bjorn

Userlevel 1

Hey thanks for the reply. When I run it, it brings in everything except two fields, the opens and the clicks. I”ve attached a screenshot below so you can see it. 

The other data in the table I’ve hand entered,

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I see…..What if you run a test on this action with some sample data?

Or could you add another action that retrieves some data from somewhere else (like a google sheet), and you use that to import it in Airtable. Just to see if the Airtable integration works properly.

~Bjorn

Userlevel 1

I know the airtable part works because The info in the other columns comes over just fine. Those are good suggestions to try

Userlevel 1

I tried this whole process again and mapped different fields to see if that would fix the problem. Unfortunately, it didn’t. It brought over the rest of the data fine, but not the two fields I need, opens and clicks. 

Below are the screenshots. One shows the end result and the others are to show how I have the fields mapped. Please any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I have tested the integration myself a bit, and it looks like your issues lies at the Mailchimp side.
Your mailchimp campaign probably doesn't have any actual data, that is why the Zap action doesn't insert any data.
Have you integrated clicktale with Mailchimp? Do you actually see data in Clicktale? To fix this you will probably have to look at the Mailchimp side.

Let me know.
~Bjorn

Userlevel 1

Yes, my campaigns that I’m trying to import have data. All of them do. It imports all the data except the fields I’ve highlighted in the screenshots above. It shows the clicks and the opens inside mailchimp but it won’t bring them over into the airtable spreadsheet. 

I have no idea what clicktale is. I’ve enabled all the tracking options in my emails as per that article that you’ve linked and it’s still not bringing over the opens and clicks. I honestly am at a loss now on what to do

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi there @craftaboo ,

Have you checked out my link? I personally don't use mailchimp but it looks like those fields you fill into your Zap action “Tracking Clicktale” is related to the third party app Clicktale.

Let me know.

~Bjorn

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @craftaboo

Were you ever able to get this to work? I’m also having a difficult time getting campaign performance data from Mailchimp into Airtable. 

I think the particular issue you are running into is that the Mailchimp variables ‘Tracking HTML Clicks’ and 'Track Opens’ only pull in the values True or False. Basically, it’s asking “Are you tracking clicks: YES” and “Are you tracking opens: YES.” In other words, this doesn’t give you the actual open/click rates, just confirms that you are tracking them.

Since your Airtable fields for Opens and Links are set to number, this is likely why no data is populating. If you change them to some kind of text input, you’ll probably get True or False when you run the Zap. 

Userlevel 1

This actually helps clear up a lot of questions, so thank you! I haven’t been able to get it to populate the clicks and opens, and I just figured it’s because they’re a-changing value and it won’t continually pull it in. 

Do you have any suggestions or ideas on how to get it to pull the actual opens and clicks if this setup won’t work? Because it’s been running the Zap and pulling in everything else correctly and then I have to manually go enter the clicks and opens. 

Thank you for your follow up, this was very helpful! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Glad I could be of some assistance! I’m not a Zapier expert by any means, so I could be mistaken about some of the finer details, but that is the gist I get from trying to accomplish the same thing you are. I just haven’t been able to crack it yet.

I don’t think the changing nature of the open/click rates should matter. My plan was to have Zapier pull this info 2-3 days later and update the Airtable record. The numbers may change a little after that, but I’d be able to live with it. I have a Google Analytics zap that basically operates in this manner. 

I’m not a coder or developer, but the Mailchimp API documentation leads me to believe campaign performance data is accessible; they just don’t provide it to Zapier currently. I just put in a help request to Mailchimp to see if they can provide any guidance. I’ll update you when I hear back. 

Not sure if this will help, but I did find this video where someone accomplishes a similar goal via Google Sheets. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much! This has helped illuminate the struggle magnificently! I will look forward to hearing your results and seeing if someone can crack the code! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @craftaboo

I think I may have a solution. The “New Campaign” trigger for Mailchimp doesn’t appear to pass along any data about opens/clicks, but the “Find Campaign” search action does! 

I created a Zap that triggers when a new record is created in my Mailchimp archive Airtable base, waits 3 days, finds the campaign in Mailchimp, then updates that record in Airtable. I also added some formatting steps to get the percentages looking how I wanted them. 

Even though I am using two different Zaps, you could probably accomplish this in one, now that we know “Find Campaign” is what to look for. 

Here is a link to the Zap I created. Let me know if this works for you!

https://zapier.com/shared/7f80ff91ccb0ec89118fe9179433a0eec6f2afec

Userlevel 1

You are awesome @aaron_avl ! I used the app that you linked me to, and removed the formatting steps (I have that set in my airtable base) and turned it on. It looks like this might be the workaround I needed. 

Unfortunately it’s requiring a paid plan to fully implement it, so I”ll see how it does with my next couple of email campaigns to determine whether I need to pay for the upgraded plan. 

If not, I might try this out in one zap instead of two. 

Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work and dedication to giving me an answer on this. :-) I should buy you a coffee! :-)