Best answer

Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets - Zap doesn't stop on failure

Userlevel 1

I have this zap that looks up some data in a Google sheet.  The data may or may not be present - both situations are valid.

In my “Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets”, I have set “ Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found? “  to false, expecting my zap to stop there when nothing is found.

My zap keeps on going happily.

The history says the zap was stopped, yet all steps were done.

My last step shows the following, and sure enough, the webhook does get called.

I am puzzled as my understanding is that the zap would stop when google sheet couldn't return a row.

Nicole

icon

Best answer by christina.d 4 June 2022, 04:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ModRobotics 

Good question.

FYI: Zap steps not dependent on a failed Zap step will try to run in a Zap.

You may need to add a Filter step to prevent the Zap from continuing if no record is found in the GSheet Lookup Row step.

Userlevel 1

Thanks.  This is weird (to me) as it's not how I read the documentation, but I do have to admit, this is exactly what's happening.

I had to
1. switch to setting “Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found? “   to true, 
2. add a filter checking the value of “Zap Search was Found Status” .

So far it seems to work in my testing. The real test will happen in about 2 weeks.

Thank you so much @Troy Tessalone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi friends! Thanks for looping back around to share the steps that worked for you, @ModRobotics!
I also wanted to pop in summarize some of the responses here:

FYI: Zap steps not dependent on a failed Zap step will try to run in a Zap.

You may need to add a Filter step to prevent the Zap from continuing if no record is found in the GSheet Lookup Row step.

These were the exact steps that ultimately did the trick!

1. switch to setting “Should this step be considered a "success" when nothing is found? “   to true, 
2. add a filter checking the value of “Zap Search was Found Status” .

Thanks again and welcome to the Community! 🎉