My website collects contact info and sends them to me via gmail
the Contact Details are in the body of the gmail
I want to save the Contact Details to a google sheet
Sounds easy but I'm having problems
Best answer by gavinschriver
Name: example name
Email: example email
Subject: Love your site!
Message: Just wanted to tell you how much your site means to me.
Otherwise it wouldn't be a very good contact form by my standards!
So basically, to achieve your goal you need two things:
- Something that you can teach to "read", or parse, those fields in the email body and their answers as individual items; and
- A way to pass those parsed bits to your spreadsheet so they're matched to columns of your choosing.
Fortunately, Zapier has an awesome tool for just such a Step 1, called Email Parser
Parse Emails by Zapier And Step 2 is handled quite seamlessly with "Create Spreadsheet Row" for Google Sheets as an Action Step.
Following the awesome tutorial pasted below, your flow will be as follows:
- A Gmail filter will recognize an incoming email as being from your contact form service
- Gmail will forward that email to your Zapier parsing robot, which you've taught to read the different parts of the email body as field-value pairs
- Your zap will paste the values for each submission into a new Google Sheets row according to which field you want in which column (presumably in the same order as fields appear in your form - in my example, Column A is Name, Column B is Email, etc.) - check out screen shots below from the demo I set up to see exactly what Parser calls each field you taught it, and how those map to your sheet.
Just keep in mind this tutorial sets up the parsing robot first, then gets into Gmail. And of course, your last part, the action step, will be different:
Google Sheets "Create New Spreadsheet Row" step...
...with how those fields and values then show up in my sheet
Hope that makes sense and helps, good luck!