Question

Limiting a zap to one action from a first trigger

• 28 January 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

I’ve got a zap set up where adding a label to an email in Gmail is the trigger, and creating a task in ClickUp is the action. So, I receive an email that I want to add to ClickUp as a task, I add a custom label I’ve created, and Zapier sends the email content and turns it into a ClickUp task. It works great other than the fact that the trigger occurs with replies to the email. I only want the task created when I first add the label, but what’s happening is that the Zap is continuing to trigger with every email reply to that particular email, and continues creating new tasks in ClickUp. I just want the task to be created when I first add the label, and then no more for the email replies. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @coreylittle615 

My Zap Triggers Every Time Someone Replies to an Email

The "new email" trigger will trigger for each new email regardless of threading. If you only want to trigger once for the entire thread, switch to the "new thread" trigger.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Troy Tessalone for the quick reply. It looks like this is specific to the “new email” trigger, whereas my issue is with the “new label” trigger. So I’m getting a zap triggered every time someone replies to an email that I’ve added a specific label to. Make sense? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@coreylittle615 

As part of the Gmail New Thread Zap trigger you can optionally specify the Label/Mailbox.

Userlevel 1

Ah ok, that’s super helpful. Ok, I’ll give that a try - hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks so much!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey @coreylittle615 - I’m Rachael with the Zapier Community team :hand_splayed: - just checking if the specified label solution worked for you? Thanks for coming and asking your question in the Community! -Rachael

Userlevel 1

@Rachael S thanks for the follow-up. Unfortunately it did not do the trick. My problem is that I want to be able to add a label I’ve created in Gmail to a new email and have it create a new task in ClickUp. However, I do not want it to create a new task with every reply in that new email thread - which is what is happening. Every time I reply to the email, or the other person in the thread replies to me, a new task is being created in ClickUp so I end up with 4-5 tasks, all for the same thing.

I tried using the “Gmail New Thread” Zap and specified the label, but I still kept getting new tasks created with every reply just like before. I also tried adding a Zap filter after the New Labeled Email in Gmail and told it to “only continue if” the email subject > (text) does not contain Re: - and that does not seem to work either. Still getting new tasks being created with every reply.

Any help is appreciated! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@coreylittle615 - I’ll get some of our top brains on it! I think I have an idea of a few things that may help, but some of the folks on our team with a little more experience will be able to explain it eloquently :sweat_smile: . I’m sure you’ll hear from them soon! 

Userlevel 1

Ok sounds good - I appreciate the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@coreylittle615 

Are you able to post screenshots with how each of your current Zap steps are configured for us to review?

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone sure, I just went and recorded a video to walk you through the steps and show you the configurations - as well as showed you the actual problem in ClickUp. Hopefully this is helpful. Let me know if you need to see anything else?

https://www.loom.com/share/xxxx

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@coreylittle615 

Appreciate the Loom.

One thing to try would be this Zap trigger: Gmail New Email Matching Search

Make sure to check the description underneath the field in the screenshot.

The key would be to limit your matching results to the matching label and correct folder (e.g. in:inbox)

Link shown: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @coreylittle615! Just wanted to see if you had any luck with Troy’s last suggestion. Let us know - we want to make sure you’re good to go here!