Best answer

Jira to Trello transfer keeping original formatting of description

• 15 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
  • Beginner
  • 10 replies

I am facing the following problem with automation of Jira with Trello. I have set a bot to auto create a new Trello card when a new Jira issue is created. All issues in Jira are created using emails. Emails and Jira issues use paragraph formatting. However when the description of issue gets transferred to Trello card it is formatted as single line, how to keep the original request format?

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 10 June 2021, 23:49

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @MAV,

You won’t be able to just use the Jira Formatting to add into a Trello card, the reason being, Trello uses Markdown formatting while Jira I think uses HTML.

However, Zapier provides this awesome formatter tool where you can convert Jira’s HTML description to Markdown format:

In between two apps use this formatter tool to convert Jira’s description so that it can be used in Trello.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @robschmidt I did try your solution, and now instead of creating one paragraph of the mail, it does create 16 same paragraphs. Below is Jira issue text

And here is the converted text using Fromatter:

Overall Foramtter did not solve the problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@MAV 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu yes I need still help with this problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @MAV!

Looking at your screenshot, and looking into how Jira sends that data, it looks like this is what’s happening:

You’ve got line items under Description — Content, which means that using Formatter will perform that action to all the line items. That’s why your output looks the way it does. You could try using Formatter — Utilities — Line Items to Text to see if that helps at all.