Best answer

Is OneDrive required for Excel updates?

• 22 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I’m having a hard time setting up my first zap which seems like it should be relatively easy. 

When a paid order comes in to my shopping cart system (Ecwid), I want to create and populate a new row with pertinent info in an existing Excel spreadsheet. However, Zapier asks me to specify the location of my spreadsheet and only gives me options for OneDrive and one other app. Under “custom”, I can’t specify anything. 

Am I to assume that my spreadsheet must reside in OneDrive? Why not Dropbox, which I already use and am heavily invested in? Why not just my hard drive? I don’t want to use OneDrive, so does that render Zapier useless to me?   

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 22 March 2021, 17:35

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @eaglerock623 

Zapier connects apps that are online, so you’ll be unable to use an Excel file hosted on your local device.

For the Excel file location asking to be OneDrive, that is because Excel and OneDrive are Microsoft apps, so those have some integrated dependencies, and same would be the case if using GSheets and GDrive as those are Google apps.

Make sure to check out these available help articles for working with Excel: https://zapier.com/apps/excel/help

I'm not able to connect my Microsoft Excel account?

We only support OneDrive for business right now - as the Excel API comes out of beta status we expect to support any version of Excel online. Personal Outlook accounts do not work unfortunately!

Can I connect to MicrosoftExcel on my Desktop computer?

Unfortunately no - we only work with Microsoft Excel online (accessible from browsers) right now - and only OneDrive for Business accounts as well.

Thank you Troy. I won’t switch to OneDrive, so I guess I need to terminate my Zapier trial. Sad.