Best answer

How to make Zapier ignore all messages in a Slack thread?

• 1 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

As the title suggests - how can I ignore any messages in a particular slack thread. I have an integration any message gets posted in a channel a jira service request gets created. But the conversation continue in the message thread and I would like to place a logic wherein zapier can ignore all messages which are being posted in that thread.

I’ve already tried these filters - Which omits creating requests if any of my team members respond to message. But when other users message in the same thread zapier ends up creating multiple jira requests for each of the new message getting posted. 

Any help in solving this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by ForYourIT 2 October 2021, 18:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @k_kush 

Can you please clarify what Zap trigger you are using for Slack?

Perhaps post a screenshot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @k_kush 

Check out this related Zapier Community Topic:

Userlevel 1

Hello @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for your response. I am using this trigger

Also, I did try the recommendations suggested in this post Filter out threaded replies from Slack?. But then it does not trigger anything when I add Thread TS and Thread TS time in the filter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @k_kush ,

I haven’t tested this, but according to the Slack documentation parents posts and threads have the same objects. However, you can:

• identify parent messages by comparing the thread_ts and ts values. If they are equal, the message is a parent message.

So basically in your filter, check if these 2 objects are equal your Zap can trigger on it (since its a parent). If they are not equal it’s a reply and you should stop the zap.

You can read more about it in this documentation. Let me know if that works or not!

~Bjorn

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@k_kush 

I tested this and it worked.

NOTE: When testing Zap steps manually, both parent and threads messages will have those 2 data points.

But when the Zap is turned ON and tested, only the thread will have those 2 data points.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 1

Hello @ForYourIT @Troy Tessalone 

All three of us seemed to have had the 100th monkey effect. I literally added the logic of matching Thread TS with TS in my zap and was waiting to test it when I came to this thread to read the new replies. I have implemented this logic and will let you know my findings. 

Thanks for the responses. 

Userlevel 1

Hello @ForYourIT @Troy Tessalone

The filter works with matching thread. 

Thanks for all the help.

Have a lovely week.