Question

How to keep a zap running when Google Calendar Find finds nothing.

• 14 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m building a calendar search which will, from time to time correctly yield no results. That is, I’ll search for calendar entries within a certain timeframe which may or may not find any items.

If it finds one, fine. Everything works as I expect. But if there are NO calendar entries during that timeframe, the zap halts on an error - at least when I’m editing. Does anyone have a workaround for this?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can you give us some more information about this calendar invite? how is it created and why is there a possibility that it won’t exist?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Andy, it’s not an invite. I have a calendar which is populated automatically when orders are created in another system. The calendar entries reflect order shipping obligations, and there may or may not be obligations on a particular day. When I search for calendar entries, there may or may not be anything in the date range of interest.

Since posting I have come up with a clumsy but effective workaround.

I check the box to create an entry if none is found. The entry is a temporary one with a particular summary string. In that way, the zap always continues.

I  process the information returned from the search, If the event returned does not match the temporary one, I create the response the return it in the form of a text message. If the event matches the temporary event, I send a “no events found” message.

I then filter the zap and stop it unless the event matches the temporary event, in which case the zap continues and I call the google calendar app again, this time to delete the temporary event.

It’s a bit clumsy, but it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Glad you came up with a workaround! 

:grin: