Question

How to get leads to automatically update when a duplicate submission is sent in with new info?

• 14 January 2022
  • 1 reply

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I am trying to find a way to get leads to update automatically when a duplicate submission comes in with updated info.  For example, we get clients that send their information more than once because they have additional information/ updated numbers to share.  I want to find a way for these duplicate names to be updated with the new information. 

Does anyone know how to do this? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hi Nathan,

It’s a bit hard to say for sure without seeing your Salesforce schema.  It sounds like you want to update a single record but not sure if you want to replace the existing information or include additional information.  The latter might require extra fields on the account.

In any case, you’ll need to look up a lean in Salesforce by some unique identifier (email, ID) as part of your Zap.  You can do this with the “find record” or “find or create record” step.  So, the Zap would look like Trigger (whatever that is) > find / find or create record > update record.  I often find it’s a good idea to add a short delay between the trigger and the first step.

You may also be able to make a change with how you are getting information from you leads to make the updating easier.  Anvil Workflows, which are webforms that gather validated information and output data onto a PDF (or anywhere else it needs to go via Zapier), can be used to pre-fill a lot of information and make it simple to update.  For example, if a client has submitted an onboarding form via an Anvil Workflow and you then later needs to update their information, you can easily start another Workflow with that client’s information pre-filled for them to update.  The nice thing about this is it 1) reduces the work needed on the clients end and 2) ensures a consistent ID that can be looked up in Salesforce.  In other words, you are sure to update the correct record in Salesforce vs. ending up with a bunch of messy duplicates.

Here is a link to the Anvil <> Salesforce templates page in case you want to check it out: https://zapier.com/apps/anvil/integrations/salesforce