Question

How to get gmail received emails to show up in Notion

• 9 March 2022
  • 9 replies

I’ve built a Zap that integrates a label from my Gmail inbox with a Notion doc. Basically every time I send a new email under that label it creates a database in Notion with some details about the to/from, date, and subject of the email. 

However, the issue is I want to track outgoing and incoming emails. The purpose of this Notion is to track all communication with a specific group of people, so nothing gets lost in the mountain of emails we have. 

How do I get a Zap to work that includes sent emails, the replies to those emails and any new emails added to that label? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MorganJ 

Instead, try using this Zap trigger: Gmail New Email Matching Search

Take note of the description for guidance.

Hi Troy! Thanks for responding. I tried that and it still isn’t working. Is there anything I could be doing wrong with my Gmail settings or is it a Notion thing? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MorganJ 

Please post screenshots with how each of your Zaps steps are configured for us to have context, thanks.

This is one I have set up that I thought would catch everything in the folder, but it isn’t working for incoming mail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MorganJ 

Gmail Labels have internal IDs, which may need to be used instead of the friendly label Name.

EXAMPLE

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MorganJ 

FYI…

Some of my emails aren't showing up on the "New Labeled Email" Trigger

Previously, the New Labeled Email trigger would only fetch emails that entered your inbox within the last two days and were then labeled, so if the emails are older than that we would not have been able to see them.

We recently updated this trigger to now fetch any newly labeled emails regardless of their age. If your Zap is only triggering on labeled emails two days or newer, you may be using the legacy version of the New Labeled Email trigger. To check if you are using the older trigger, look in your Zap and see if "legacy" is in the name.

New Labeled Email trigger “(Legacy)” tag

If you see legacy in the name, you'll need to re-select the New Labeled Email trigger.

It’s still not logging the replies to the emails. I’ve been testing it by sending an email under the label from my work email to my personal, that shows up, then I respond from my personal back to my work email, and it doesn’t show up. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Oh wait! I got it to work! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MorganJ 

I did some testing.

When a reply came thru it did NOT have the label, altho in the Gmail UI it should the email THREAD as having the label.

So you may have to try adjusting your Gmail Filter Rules.

OR

Maybe use 1 Label for sent emails and 1 label for received emails.