Best answer

How to find and update specific row in Notion database table, search by date?

• 9 July 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a Notion database that I use (among other things) daily tracking of some personal statistics (weight etc.). I’m building an Siri Shortcut that pulls various pieces of data from Apple Health, then uses a web hook to feed those to Zapier which in turn sends them to Notion. It does work, but I can’t figure out how to target the database-entry for that particular date.

My first attempt was a two-step workflow where the webhook gets the data, and then it does “Update database item in Notion”. It requires an Item to be specified, and those items are basically each and every entry in the database. if I manually select the todays entry in the Zap builder and run the workflow, it works fine. But obviously that’s not what I want, as it should be automatic. So I obviously need a “Find database item” between the webhook and the update step. But the problem here is that I can’t search by date. The action shows just about every datafield in the database, but not the date-field, which is what I would need to search for todays entry. I thought about adding a checkbox in the database for “active date”, and I could just search for that checkbox, but I can’t search for checkboxes either.

One solution I thought about literally just now: In the Siri shortcut, I could also pass the today’s date to the webhook and feed it to to the search for the title of the days entries, as I use todays date as the title. No, I can’t search for “today”, I can only search for specific string.

EDIT: Can confirm, the solution I mentioned in the end does work.

icon

Best answer by SamB 9 September 2021, 17:23

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JanneO 

You may have to use the Notion API: https://developers.notion.com/

App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhooks action step: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting us know that your solution worked, JanneO:

One solution I thought about literally just now: In the Siri shortcut, I could also pass the today’s date to the webhook and feed it to to the search for the title of the days entries, as I use todays date as the title. No, I can’t search for “today”, I can only search for specific string.