Best answer

How to exclude replies in Gmail from triggering zap

• 9 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Apologies, in advance, if this is in the community forum. I could not find it.

I’m using the free service, and trying to set up my Zap from Gmail to Asana.

Using a filter in Gmail to create my Gmail Label (an email from a specific sender with a specific subject line)

I want that ONE single email (1st occurrence) to create a task in Asana.

And I believe I made it work.

The problem is that it appears that each email reply that happens in that string, it will create a new Zap due to having the same label...and hence a repeat task in Asana. 

How do I tell the zap (or Gmail) to ignore the replies AND/OR only take the 1st occurrence?

Many thanks for your help!
Sam

icon

Best answer by Sam_UMI 10 April 2020, 20:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Sam_UMI - Do replies have a subject starting with “Re:”? If so, you’d probably want to filter them out when you create your label. Adding -subject:"re:" to the search string should eliminate them.

Userlevel 1

Hey Ikbel,

Thank you so much for the response! I was excited to go try your advice, but I noticed that my email is not setup like that. The replies just “nest” under the original subject title.  (?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey @Sam_UMI - I did more research but there doesn’t seem to be a way around it, unfortunately. You might want to consider building a custom Zapier app for Gmail that fetches the first email only from each conversation.

Userlevel 1

Ikbel,
Thank you once again, for being gracious with your time. 

For anyone interested in the solution to this, I’ve copied the answer from a Zapier support rep below:

“You're indeed correct that the New Email Trigger will trigger for every email regardless of threading of the email. If you only want your Zap to trigger once for the entire thread, please switch to the "New Thread" trigger instead.”

Hope this helps some folks. It was simply changing the the “trigger type”. :)
Cheers! Sam

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Sam_UMI - Awesome! I totally overlooked this option lol. Thanks for sharing!