Question

How to copy worksheet from Google Forms submission to a Google Sheets template

• 2 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I’m trying to figure out how to add a step in one of my workflows between Google forms and Google sheets.

The trigger is a new Google Form submission.  I need to add a step where a worksheet from the excel file that is uploaded in the Google form is copied into an existing Google Sheet template.  The problem is that I can’t copy the worksheet that was created with the Form submission since Forms just refers to it as a Google Drive link.

Hopefully that isn’t too confusing but I’ve got most of the workflow completed but can’t figure out how to add this crucial step. 

Thank you.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @crestkid

Can I check I’ve understood what you’re trying to do here? Your Google form has a file upload field where folks are uploading an Excel file and you want to be able to copy that file into a Google sheet, is that right? If that’s the case then it’s not possible to do it that way as there’s not a way to directly access the information in the Excel file to copy it to a Google Sheet. 

That said, I think that there’s a workaround here. If you ask the people adding the file to the form to save the file as a .csv rather than .xls file, then you will be able to get the contents of the file to then send it to Google sheets.

To do that, use the Formatter app and choose Utilities > Import CSV file. Then use the action Google Sheets Create Spreadsheet Row(s), which can create rows using the line items that you’ll get. from the Formatter step. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @crestkid!

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you’d managed to get things working using the suggestion by @Danvers, or whether you could still use some help here. Please let us know :)