Best answer

How to Clear a Selection in a ZenDesk Custom Field

• 23 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

My ZenDesk zaps are working as expected, except for when I try to clear a drop-down list.  It changes values fine, but when I want to set it to ‘nothing selected’ it just leaves it as it was.  

Is there a way to use the Update Organization and Update User Zap to make it set a custom drop-down to blank?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 30 April 2020, 11:31

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @zappyzapman ,

Thanks for reaching out! 

I’m sorry to report that update steps will only update a field if there’s something in it (ie you can change a value from one thing to another), so you won’t be able to leave a drop down blank.

One workaround suggested by the team would be to add an actual value to the drop down called something like ‘nothing selected’  and then do a bulk update/edit of these in Zendesk. I know that is not ideal, but could possibly help with your workflow!

If you have any additional questions, please let us know- happy to help!

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the response.  I'm open to adding an option like you see suggested but is there a way to replace a blank value from another system with your ‘nothing selected’ option?

I was trying things like the below but it wasn’t working.  Would I have to add an option for every single option and then have the default option be ‘nothing selected?’

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zappyzapman!

Would I have to add an option for every single option and then have the default option be ‘nothing selected?’

Yes, that’s right - you need to change the ‘Fallback option’ at the bottom the Zap to be ‘nothing selected’

That way, if nothing comes into the Formatter step (the value is blank) then the step will output ‘nothing selected’. One thing to remember is that if someone selects an option that is not in the table, the step will default to the fallback value.