Question

How to add 'Create New Contact' and 'Add Contact to a Group'

• 18 October 2021
  • 8 replies

I want to set up a ZAP that (1) Creates a google contact and (2) adds the contact, just created, to a group.

Step1 works well,  and I find the function to add google contact to a group. But I dont know how to specify the contact just created. Using dynamic data? 

Anybody can explain?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JVNL 

Check out this help article for mapping variables between steps using the ‘CUSTOM’ mapping option.

https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action#set-up-your-action

You’ll need to map the ID of the Contact created in Step 2 to Step 3.

I tried this earlier but keep getting an error. See printscreens attached

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JVNL 

Try using the Original ID instead.

Test of the ZIP is now succesfull!! Thanks a lot! 

Last step now is to make a test with real data. But I am confident this works as well.

Hi there. I am also trying to create this Zap - it’s my first ever. In my case, I am using Google Forms to create Google Contacts. Here is what I have set up so far:

I saw this response in the thread:

You’ll need to map the ID of the Contact created in Step 2 to Step 3.

I want to know: since I am using Google Forms to collect the data, should I be using the OriginalID from the Google Forms step, or from the Google Contacts step? Does this matter?

Also I want to confirm that for every unique response to the Google Form, each contact will both be created AND added to the ‘SEND NEWSLETTER’ group. I find it a little confusing that the Set Up Action > Contact field asks to select a particular contact and doesn’t say something like “Use the contact just created”. In other words, I want to be sure that the Zap isn’t trying to add one contact to the group over and over every single time a new response is received (leaving the new responses un-added).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Caspers Park Foundation 

In Step 2, you should map the email from the GForm in step 1, using the ‘CUSTOM’ mapping option.

I want to know: since I am using Google Forms to collect the data, should I be using the OriginalID from the Google Forms step, or from the Google Contacts step? Does this matter?

In Step 3, use the ID from the GContacts step 2.

Check your Zap Runs to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step: https://zapier.com/app/history/

TIP: When in doubt, test it out.

May be worthwhile reviewing the Zap Basics help articles: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics

Thank You @Troy Tessalone! That worked.

One more question:

I also want to do something similar to what DougO did in this post:

I see that his thread has been closed and there are some things I couldn’t visually understand without the help of screenshots. Should I share my screenshots in this thread to ask for clarification or should I start a new thread duplicate to DougO’s?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Caspers Park Foundation 

Probably best to start a new topic.

Feel free to mentioned me in it.