Best answer

How do I save a full Twitter thread to Airtable?

• 21 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all, 

I want to use the ‘Search Mention in Twitter’ trigger to save a full Twitter thread when Zapier detects a particular string sequence, such as #SaveThread. 

I can get the trigger to activate correctly. However, I’m not sure how to use Zapier to save the full twitter thread into Airtable - I can’t seem to find a record of this text.

Is there a way to use Zapier to save the full twitter thread that the search mention was detected within? Specifically, is there a value that’s returned from Twitter that contains the text of the full thread or is there a fancy way to get at the full thread text in Zapier? 

Thanks in advance, 

Kas

icon

Best answer by ZappinAndy 30 July 2021, 21:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Kasim21! :)

I can see that you’ve also contacted our Support Team about this, so the best thing to do will be to continue the conversation with them there as they will be able to take a closer look at your Zaps to see why the Twitter thread details aren’t appearing.

And if you’re able to get a solution, it would be super helpful if you could share that with the Community here. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam, 

For sure, no problem. I’ll update the post if we’re able to get a solution. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hey Kasim,

Thanks again for writing into our Support team! Summarizing our findings on this inquiry for broader awareness / future discussion.

I did some digging through Twitter's docs, and it sounds like with their newer V2 of their API, they have noted that "the current functionality of the Twitter API v1.1 makes it difficult to efficiently retrieve a full conversation thread." - https://twittercommunity.com/t/new-conversation-id-field-and-operator-makes-it-possible-to-easily-retrieve-complete-conversation-threads/139613

They announced the conversation_id parameter will allow developers and users of their API to better retrieve and handle Twitter threads. My assumption based on what I've read is that you wouldn't be able to use conversation_id in our current Twitter integration, since we are still on V1.1, as discussed in this Community post. In other words, I. do not believe `conversation_id` is backwards-compatible in v1.1.

Potential Workaround
If you did happen to have access to V2 of the Twitter API yourself, you might be able to use Webhooks by Zapier to engage with V2 of the API in a Zap: https://zapier.com/help/doc/how-get-started-webhooks-zapier.

Note: I see that v2 is still an "Early Access" only version, so I'm not 100% sure it is possible to upgrade our current Twitter integration to v2.0 at the moment. But our team will be sure to review we'll be sure to continue tracking user interest in eventually supporting v2 of Twitter's API once it is feasible.

Hope this gives some insight into why our Twitter integration is not currently suited to accomplish the goal, but I’d encourage others to post here if they try using Webhooks with Twitter’s V2 API. Happy to help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you, @Kasim21. That would be fantastic! :)