Best answer

Having a spreadsheet update automatically and without overwriting dats

• 6 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

I have an app that stores records in a Cloud Firestore using Firebase, I’m trying to get the information submitted into the app onto a Google Sheets spreadsheet using Zapier.

I created a new Zap and set it up as follows:

1. New Document within a Firestore Collection
  2. Chose Account
  3. Customise Record with the follow query
        "orderBy": [{
            "field": {
                "fieldPath": "`Operative Name`"
            },
            "direction": "DESCENDING"
        }]
  4. Create Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
  5. Chose Account
  6. Chose Spreadsheet, then worksheet then added fields
  7. Sent test successfully

My concern is how can I have my spreadsheet update automatically each time the submit button is tapped on the app and have it added as a new row?

Right now I get the initial row I set it up with, but tapping submit in the app does nothing.

Really hope someone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

I’m currently on the free plan.

icon

Best answer by steph.n 18 June 2020, 19:34

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @NiallASD 

Just to double check that I’ve understood this correctly - when you tap submit in the app it adds a new document, is that right?

If that’s the case then the first thing that I would ask is how long you waited between tapping the submit button and waiting for the new row to be added? The New Document Within a Firestore Collection trigger isn’t instant. It’s a polling trigger, which means that it can take up to 15 minutes to trigger the Zap (depending on your plan). Have you tried turning on the Zap, submitting a document and then waiting to see if triggers the Zap?

The next thing to check is whether your Zap is triggering at all, or if it is being triggered but then running into and error.  You can check this by going to your task history. If you don’t see any tasks even though you know your trigger events have been happening, then it means that your Zap isn’t triggering. This guide has some troubleshooting steps that you can follow if your Zap isn’t triggering: Zap isn’t being triggered

I hope that all makes sense, let us know if you have any questions!

Hi Danvers,

Sorry I haven’t replied earlier, but I was unable to.

Thanks for the reply.

In Cloud Firestore, each time submit is tapped in the app it overwrites the previous data (unless it’s from a different signed in user).

I was able to create a Google Sheets API that lets me populate a spreadsheet (seen here), but I can’t get it to work with Firebase.

Basically, I’d like what the API allows - only through Zapier so that it will work with Firebase.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @NiallASD - Thanks for following up with Danvers! I’m stepping in quickly here and wanted to escalate your topic to Zapier Support so they can take a deeper dive into what may be the issue. Please reply to the ticket that I have set up for us to continue to work on this together. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @NiallASD - It seems like we don’t trigger on Collections, but only Documents at this time. I’m glad that Support was able to help figure out what was going on and to be able to add you to the feature request interest list. We’ll contact you directly should this feature become available in the near future. Thanks so much!