Best answer

Grouped Google My Business locations not available to select

• 18 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

This post was split from the topic: Google My Business Review Multiple Locations Issue

Have a similar problem to this person. we have dozens over locations and they are grouped into two GMB groups. zapier doesn’t display any locations to select in the zap. 

icon

Best answer by SamB 19 August 2021, 17:16

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @samholland00

I’m sorry you’re having some trouble selecting locations in your Zap. In order for locations to appear, the connected Google My Business user account needs to be the Owner of the location.

There is usually a couple of reasons why no locations appear in the Zap:

1. The connected account is an Agency Account. The owner of that location’s account will need to be connected instead.
  2. The ownership settings can be lost when locations are grouped together. In which case you’d need to head into the location’s settings in Google My Business and set the owner. Then the locations should appear in the Zap.

I hope this helps! :)

I used the tips from SamB and got it to work.  My locations too are grouped into a GMB group.   For those of you who don’t know why you would do this… because... by creating a GMB group is the only way you can add users to multiple locations at once.  For instance, if you wanted your reviews moderator to have access to all locations.

Anyway, one important side note.  SamB says that you have to be an owner of **each location** for Zapier to get access.  As SamB also mentioned, my owner status was erased from each location when I became owner of the group (that is, when I setup the group).  Who cares, right? If I own the group I can do anything to any location anyways.  Wrong.

Systems like Zapier and Taggbox only can display those locations where the credentials you supply are an owner.  No owner, no locations.  Owner of the group does not count.  OK you say, so I will just add myself as an owner again to each location.  Wrong.  GMB will not let you.  The “Invite” button is greyed out if you try to do this.  You cannot invite yourself to be an owner. This is a quirk with GMB.

OK, so here is what you do.  Logged into GMB as the Primary Owner, go into each location and add some other google account or another email that you control as a plain old “owner”. Use this same set of credentials for each location and add yourself as an owner.  I have 5 locations… for those of you that have 1,000 locations you may want to go get some coffee.

When you are done, use these new owner credentials to create your zap -- that is, the ID that is the owner or each location, not the group.  As I said, I know this fixes the problem with Taggbox as well.

One last thing, every time you add your new ID as an owner to each location, all of the users for that location are going to get a notification email.  You might be able to turn this off, I don’t know.  But if you have tons of locations, know that your peeps are going to get like a zillion worthless emails.  You may want to warn them first.

Userlevel 1

I have 5 locations… for those of you that have 1,000 locations you may want to go get some coffee.

haha, this gave me a good laugh. 

i ended up adding myself to all 50 locations as the owners which did the trick. the only annoying part is that you have to create a zap for all 50 now vs just the group. 

re: emails, i just setup a gmail filter and have them all skipping my inbox. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @samholland00, I’m so pleased you were able to get this sorted! :) 

@jpbrewer, thanks for sharing your insights here! It’s much appreciated. :)

I can totally understand how the process to get those locations appearing isn’t ideal when you have lots of locations grouped! So I’ve since been doing some further digging on this and it seems that we have an existing feature request for the ability to select grouped locations which would make things much easier here.

I’ve gone ahead and added your votes to that feature request as it seems like something you’d both be interested in. I don’t have an ETA on when you could expect that to be implemented by but we will email you as soon as it is!