Best answer

Google Sheets to slack channels and slack user id

• 8 August 2020
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I have this usecase that I can’t seem to figure out.

We have a google sheet with client names, slack channel id, and communication schedule. Each day using zapier scheduler as the trigger, we have a specific day message that we sent out to each client specific channel ID and tagging the client slack user IDs. Instead of creating a slack step for each client and entering the message. We want to pull message from google sheets so when communication message changes/updates, we just update it once in the sheet and it will push correctly to all client channels.

The other issue is being able to use google sheets to run the entire list of clients so that it fires the template message in each client slack channel. 

I’m not familiar with zapier code and zapier formater but I image a combination of this plus structuring my data so google sheets can run a lookup or find event will solve my issue. 

Here is the sample required data/variables. The reason behind using google sheets this is so that updating and removing clients, communication schedule messages (template) will be simpler.

Through either formating the google sheet or zapier code or formatter I believe its possible to have it so runs through the string/array of client channels and user IDs to format correctly to slack message app (similar to image below)

I feel free to contact me if you have any questions and solutions to this, thank you in advance :)

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 12 August 2020, 01:14

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Johnz20,

Assuming all of these channels are within the same Slack instance, this should be possible :)

You’re pretty close already. On the Send Channel step you would click on Custom then map the value from your Google Sheet:

As you can see in my screenshot above, if I didn’t know the ID of the zapier-test-channel I could get it from there, then add it to my Google Sheet. For @mentioning someone, you’ll want to make sure you use their Slack handle, as you would if you did this in Slack directly. That means either add the @ symbol in Google Sheets and leave it out of your Zap, or leave it out of Google Sheets and type it in before you map the field from your spreadsheet.

For example:

Hope that helps!