Best answer

google sheets // setting subsequent actions against a new worksheet created in action 1

• 25 April 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi there - I'm working with google sheets, creating multiple actions within one zap.

My problem is - the initial trigger causes worksheet A to be copied - let's call this worksheet B. What I would like to then do is set further actions against worksheet B. The problem is, at the point of me create the zap, worksheet B does not yet exist. 

Is there any way to do this? Any thoughts/help/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by andywingrave 25 April 2020, 10:44

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, I have to be honest, and I normally opt to just not solve this problem with Google sheets.

It’s not that it’s unsolvable, it’s just that there are SO many edge cases, and nothing you build on Google Sheets is remotely repeatable on other projects. 

The way I would opt to solve this particular problem is by using Airtable - The reason is because what you need to solve this particular problem is the concept of a “Record ID” which you can certainly create in Google Sheets, but unfortunately it never works the way you want it to, because of the way Zaps trigger off it.

This is just advice based on having built many solutions on both Airtable and G-Sheets. Airtable just works the way you want it to

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @mungle88,

I’m inclined to agree with @Saastronomical on this one. Airtable is a much more versatile tool, being a nice blend between a spreadsheet and database :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It would really all depend on how many worksheets you’re creating with your zaps - If this is going to be a perpetual worksheet creating machine, then perhaps I’d need to understand the use case a bit more…

But if you use Airtable to manage your worksheets, that would certainly give you a lot more flexibility and scale in your solution

Userlevel 1

Hi both, thanks for your input. I will definitely check out Airtable. But, for this particular need, Zapier’s lovely Lauren Hunter has sorted me a work around. Thank you!

Hi Mungle 88, I am having the exact same issue and would like to know what was the work around that you mentioned that Lauren Hunter was able to make.

Kind regards

Hi both, thanks for your input. I will definitely check out Airtable. But, for this particular need, Zapier’s lovely Lauren Hunter has sorted me a work around. Thank you!

Userlevel 1

Hi Mungle 88, I am having the exact same issue and would like to know what was the work around that you mentioned that Lauren Hunter was able to make.

Kind regards

Hi Fernentech, 

It depends on what you’re trying to achieve...if you could describe I’ll try and help!