Best answer

Google Sheet formulas

Userlevel 1

HI, I'm really struggling to send the result of a formula in a gsheet into a gslide. It seems that zappier doesn't know how to read the result of a formula in a gsheet. Writing the formula in the zap is quite impossble cause I've a lot of formulas with reference to several sheets (vlookup) etc.. Is there a quicker way to let  zappier take the result of the formula in my slide ?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 12 May 2020, 14:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Tom_Mgdi 

From what I know there still isn’t a better option sadly. If one emerges I’ll circle back and post here.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom_Mgdi 

Just checking in - did you get this sorted?

Hi! Nope it’s not. I’m using a trick but it needs manual intervention

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Tom_Mgdi 

Just checking in - did you get this sorted?

Userlevel 1

Sorry for misunderstanding the core issue with this one, @Tom_Mgdi

I just tested a find row step using a simple formula (just a sum function) and the Zap was able to search based on the value of the result of the formula (ie the result of the sum). This tells us that the Zap is failing specifically for query or import range formula. It’s likely not finding the values because Lookup formulas and import formulas will only show the imported value while they are being observed in Google Sheets, otherwise they either appear as blank or as the raw function. 

If you have access to the other sheet that you are using the function to get results from, it may be worth adding an extra “Lookup Spreadsheet Row” action to the Zap, to get the information from that row in the other sheet, then combine the two rows later on.

Thx for your help, I’ll try to understand ans test it :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Sorry for misunderstanding the core issue with this one, @Tom_Mgdi

I just tested a find row step using a simple formula (just a sum function) and the Zap was able to search based on the value of the result of the formula (ie the result of the sum). This tells us that the Zap is failing specifically for query or import range formula. It’s likely not finding the values because Lookup formulas and import formulas will only show the imported value while they are being observed in Google Sheets, otherwise they either appear as blank or as the raw function. 

If you have access to the other sheet that you are using the function to get results from, it may be worth adding an extra “Lookup Spreadsheet Row” action to the Zap, to get the information from that row in the other sheet, then combine the two rows later on.

Userlevel 1

Thx @Danvers ! 

My problem isn’t really about the trigger issue. I’m ok to open the file to update the results cause the volume of new results aren’t so important. But the mainwork consist to implement the result of the different formulas in a Google slide.  And my problem is when I try to connect the result of the sheet to a slide, then zapier doesn’t find the proper data in the sheet cause it’s a formula.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Tom_Mgdi!

Using Formulas in Google Sheets Zaps is tricky because it depends on which formula you’re using and what trigger/action you use. 

For example, import range and vlookup formula only update the sheet at the moment that the it’s opened (this stack overflow question addresses this). So it can be tricky to trigger a Zap from those kind of formula. 

If the formula is a reference to something in the same sheet, and you make a change to the sheet, which changes the result of the formula (again in the same sheet) then that would trigger a Zap.

Does it sound like that could be the issue here?

Userlevel 1

Hey @Tom_Mgdi,

Zapier should only ever take the result of a formula in Sheets, so it seems as though this isn’t working as expected. 

What value are you bringing into Zapier if not the result?

Hi!n It seems that Zpaier doesn’t read the result. Formulas aren’t so complicated and based on vlookups mainly.  But a the end, when I want to integrate the result into a gsheet, zeapier dosn’t find any data in the gsheet

Userlevel 1

@Tom_Mgdi Can you show us some screenshots of your setup and what you have done so far?

Hi! I’m trying to give an estimate of a cost of renovation for an apartment. So my clients answer a questionaire in typeform which generates the BDD sheet. Then I asocciate those results to some value in the “Estimatif dyn” sheet (values are stored in the “match” sheet). At the end I want to associate the final calculation to a Gslide (Ex the AM column), but zappier does not find data in this “estimatif dyn” sheet. I’ve tried Importrange or query, but the result is the same. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Tom_Mgdi,

Zapier should only ever take the result of a formula in Sheets, so it seems as though this isn’t working as expected. 

What value are you bringing into Zapier if not the result?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tom_Mgdi Can you show us some screenshots of your setup and what you have done so far?