Best answer

Google Forms trigger from form in Shared Drive

Hi everyone~

I have a quick question. So is it possible to connect to a google form or any other Document that is in a “Shared Drive” space?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 21 June 2021, 22:32

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VFXRack 

For GDrive: You can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

https://zapier.com/help/doc/common-problems-with-google-drive

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

Thank you for the quick answer.

So if I created a file and moved it over to a shared drive, it should still trigger the zap?

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack

The connected account must be the owner of the shared drive where the file is located/moved.

So I’ve created a google forms in a Shared Drive that I own. When I try to set up a trigger in a zap, I can’t locate the form.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack

The GForm saves responses to a GSheet: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2917686?hl=en

So you’ll need to specify the GSheet as the trigger.

I can't see my Google Form spreadsheet in the dropdown

Google Form responses need to be saved to a Google Sheet in order to work with Zapier.

To resolve this, you'll want to adjust where you save your Google Form responses using this guide and ensure they're saved in a Google Sheet.

The Google Sheet will then become selectable in the dropdown when setting up your Zap.

I have that created but it still doesnt locate the sheet.

It reads it when the file is in “My drive” and as soon as I move it into my “Shared drive” it disappears.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack

Is the GSheet nested under a folder?

Try inputting the ID of the GSheet.

Also make sure the share permissions for the file/folder are set correctly.

See this related topic:

I got it to work! It takes about 15-20 mins for it to zap, is that normal since its from a shared folder?

Thank you @Troy Tessalone for all the help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack

The Google Sheets trigger is marked "instant" but it still takes a few minutes to trigger

The triggers for Google Sheets are unique among Zapier triggers. When there is a trigger event in the spreadsheet, Zapier gets a notification webhook from Google about this. After that, Zapier sends Google Sheets a request for new data, so it uses both the polling and instant trigger methods. This process takes about 3 minutes overall.

While not being "instant", these triggers are faster than regular polling ones, as they don't depend on the polling interval of the plan your account uses.

Trigger types

There are 2 types of triggers:

1. Polling trigger: the majority of triggers are polling triggers. With a polling trigger, Zapier will check for new data from your trigger every 1 to 15 minutes in order to start your Zap, depending on your pricing plan.
  2. Instant trigger: with an instant trigger, your trigger app will send Zapier an instant notification whenever there's new data. Zaps with instant triggers are labeled Instant on your dashboard and in the Zap editor.

Hi @Troy Tessalone 

So after testing a few zaps, my zaps arent triggering. When I test out (via editor) the zap it triggers but when I fill out my forms it doesn’t trigger the zap.

Any reason why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack 

What Zap trigger are you using?

You may have to wait up to 15 minutes for the Zap to trigger depending on your Zap plan and the trigger being used.

Check your Zap Runs: https://zapier.com/app/history

Trigger

1. New Reponse in Spreadsheet in Google Forms

Action

1. Create Ticket in Repairshopr

Everything has checked marked, when I test the zap it works and creates a ticket in my Repairshopr. When I fill out the form after its turned on it doesn’t zap.

There isnt any runs in my history. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VFXRack 

May be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support so they can troubleshoot further with you: https://zapier.com/app/get-help