Best answer

Google docs - create template from document - "No Options available"

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to create a new word doc from template.

I have setup my trigger to be a new card in trello

I select action as google docs, and then create document from template, and click on continue

It then asks for my account. First note is that i see google docs show up different from google sheets and google drive. I used the same method, connected the same account, but docs doesnt show my name… every other google service does

Also what i note is that when adding sheets, forms and drive, it has the blue circle, but whenever i add google docs, that blue circle and mention about spreadsheets isn't there. Its only the first part about see edit etc.

I would have expected to see something that had a blue circle and allow “docs” in google drive

Back to the Zap… on the next part it asks to select template doc… but comes back with … no options available

So, i cant choose a template. nothing shows up under it

I ave removed all the google connected apps readded… same issues persists

Please advise

Images edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please don’t included personal or private information (eg email addresses) in your Community posts. 

icon

Best answer by michaelrbowen 5 May 2020, 05:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

This looks like a UI / user issue. You could maybe try the following:

• Remove the Docs integration
  • Logout of Zapier
  • Clean cache + cookies
  • Login and create a new Zap workflow

If that doesn't work I think the Support team will be the best way to fix this. Let me know!

~Bjorn

Userlevel 1

Many thanks,

Ran through as suggested, same result unfortunatly ;(

How do I get hold of support?

See screen shot below which does not have that second line with the blue dot

Many thanks

Michael

Images edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please don’t included personal or private information (eg email addresses) in your Community posts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That is unfortunate to hear @michaelrbowen 

See screen shot below which does not have that second line with the blue dot

That is all fine, and I got the same authorization screen. However, you should be able to select an action / trigger with events afterwards in your Zap.

You can contact support here

Userlevel 1

Ok, 

Thats good to know! For every other google app it has my email address behind it… forms, sheets etc

I headed over to teh zap and strted again, still no option coming up when i select to choose a template document… Dont suppose you’d have any ideas on that aspect i could try please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It looks like you have an erorr message on the right side?

Sometimes Zap workflows are a bit buggy and don't “refresh” certain things. Could you try the following?

• Change the action to any other action
  • Then change it back to Google docs action
  • Follow the setup of the action from top to bottom
  • Make sure you allow the proper account. If you don't have any data / documents then there will be no options for the Zap

Let me know

Userlevel 1

Thanks,

Ran through the steps and found the following:

I went back and selected “append text to document” and was able to work through a zap. Worked fine

When i then go back and change to “create doc from template”, and move to teh next step of choosing my account, it creates an alert, “There's an issue with Google Docs in step 2

Userlevel 1

To add to that, also changed to a different app and started to build a little with no issues, backed it out and went into create doc form template, and issue comes up

Userlevel 1
  • Make sure you allow the proper account. If you don't have any data / documents then there will be no options for the Zap

What is a proper account and how do i know im using it?

i can create a good doc zap to append documet text and run it… Does that mean its the propper account?

Documents i have loads of… I just cant see them when using the create template from doc option

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @michaelrbowen!

I know that this might sound a little obvious, but can I double check that you have templates in the Google Docs account that’s connected to the Zap? 

You can see what templates are in your account by going to clicking on ‘Template Gallery’ at the top of your docs home page:

If you can only see the general Google ones there (and not one that you have created), then you’ll need to create the template first. If you’ve not done that before, we have a guide on how to create Google Doc Templates.

Userlevel 1

Many Thanks

It doesn't exist there…. But that’s because i dont have Gsuite… Only Gsuite users can create a template. 

That aside, zapier notes that its capable of creating a new doc form an existing one. So those without GSUITE, are able to select any doc and use that doc as a template…? Or not?

Does the doc need to be a template? 

Michael

Userlevel 1

Good Morning! Solved!

Sort of lol. @Danvers I took your suggestion on a similar topic to use the document ID and it worked…
https://community.zapier.com/ask-the-community-3/can-t-find-google-docs-template-2101

Only challenge i have now is that instead of renaming the document to the new cards name, it keeps taking the name of the card I chose when setting up the zap.

I invest in property and make 5-7 offers a week so it gets a little tedious to fill out a new Offer to purchase each time. My idea is that when a new card is added to a column in trello, it copies the document, and names it after the card title - Card title is the property address.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@michaelrbowen 

One of the fields lets you set filename. What’s that setup to right now?