Best answer

Google doc template is not showing placeholder in the Zap

• 4 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I have A sales template I am trying to automate its generation.  All placeholders are marked like the following {{Company}} , {{Email}} etc

I have a CRM that trigger the action to generate the document I chose the following Zap:

Create Document from Template in Google Docs for some reason aside from being able to dynamical name the document you can’t fill any other field. I don't even have the ability to add feilds and the replace option is not there.  Any Idea what could be wrong

icon

Best answer by Danvers 28 April 2020, 15:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @MrMkr 

I seem to remember from hitting this problem myself before that you just need to use single brackets - like {Company}

Can you try that and see if the fields then appear in Zapier?

Still did not work and for some reason I do not even have the replace option!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@MrMkr 

I'm going to flag this post for the Zapier Community Team. They should have more insight on this and can escalate to the support team if needed.

Sit tight, and someone will contact you soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu !

Hi @MrMkr !

Sorry you are running into this issue with GoogleDocs! I can see you are working with Support to dig deeper into this so I will let them continue to troubleshoot here. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions- happy to help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @MrMkr - It’s been a while since we heard back, so I wanted to post what Andy mentioned to you in our support ticket:

Can you please try the following?

1. Go to your template Doc, and delete the fields entirely.
2. Retype the fields as you had them, and the clear the formatting again.
3. Head back to your Zap, and make a copy of the Zap.
4. With the copy of the Zap, when you refresh the fields, do you see the custom fields now?
5. If not, let's have you finish this step 2 as is, turn the Zap on live, and try changing a stage of an object in Box to get the Zap to run once.
6. Then, head back to your Zap and check step 2 by refreshing the fields again, do you see the custom fields now?

Please let us know if you still need support with this issue. Thanks!

It did work. but not consistently ? I am assuming even to reformat everything ? 

any idea where is this coming from ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @MrMkr  The underlying reason for the trouble is likely that the custom fields in the Google doc are formatted, which can cause issues in detecting custom fields. If you’ve double-checked that there’s no formatting in any of the fields, then the best thing to do is to reply to Andy’s email so that the Support Team can take another look for you. 

Userlevel 1

use one word placeholders, it worked for me