Question

GCal and Sheets zaps keep triggering tasks, how can I stop it?

• 11 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

With help of Zapier community I’ve built the following process from 2 Zaps, it allows me to create and update calendar entries by entering rows of information in a Sheets spreadsheet.

1. Trigger: GSheet - New/Updated Row
  2. Action: GCal - Create Detailed Event
  3. Action: GSheets - Update Row (log the GCal Event ID)
  1. Trigger: GSheets - New/Updated Row
  2. Action: GCal - Update Event (use the GCal Event ID)

It works well but it creates loads of tasks (and uses up all my tasks) even when no new entries are being made. To the best of my understanding the GCal Event ID keeps regenerating and sending new info between the 2 Zaps.

Is there any way I can filter out this column or use a different ID to recognise the event??

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@christian7 - checking back in to see if you were able to get this configuration squared away. Let us know how you got on!

Userlevel 1

I’ve created a time stamp column that updates when i update columns other than the event ID. Think I can get that to work with the filter eventually!

Userlevel 1

Thanks Bjorn

Trying to get my head around this. Do you mean that i add a true/false column that i click when i update the spreadsheet and then click off again to stop the event ID continually creating tasks? I think you’re suggesting something more efficient than that but maybe my grasp of sheets is holding me back!

I’m reading up on boolean filters but.. not there yet. Do you mean that I can add a column in sheets that will change it’s value when i update any cell in a row rather than the event ID!? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @christian7 ,

Yes you can definitely do this very easily. Add another column to your sheet, and give it some value (normally I use true/false values).

Then use a Filter By Zapier to either continue in the workflow, or not. This then would stop the automation if a row doesn't have a specific column value.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any other questions!

~Bjorn