Question

Fortmatter Tool: Convert image URL into image file

• 3 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to convert an image URL into an image file and update the Airtable information. 

In my case, it’s easier to copy the image URL instead of downloading it and uploading it into Airtable.

Has anyone try something to solve a similar issue before?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi there @weaousere and welcome to the community :) 

While Zapier doesn’t really have a function to download a file, I would point you to an Airtable Extension

The other option I’ve done in the past is upload the file to a service like Dropbox or Google Drive (both will accept a URL) from within a zap and then the result of that zap step will have the actual file contents which you can use in the airtable step as an attachment.

Respond here if you need more assistance with the second option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @weaousere,

You can use “Webhook by Zapier” to get the image file from a URL, as shown below:

The returned data can be mapped anywhere that accepts a file.

Webhook by Zapier documentation: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations

Userlevel 1

Hi @weaousere,

You can use “Webhook by Zapier” to get the image file from a URL, as shown below:

The returned data can be mapped anywhere that accepts a file.

Webhook by Zapier documentation: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations

Thanks for your answer. I would like to go with this option.

Could you help me with the steps needed in order to generate the image into Airtable based in the URL?

What should I add in the other fields?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @weaousere 

Just leave as they are and try it out.

Also, I see that your image URL ends with image size 1600*1200 (which is supposed to end with .png or .jpg or something like that) which I think shouldn’t cause any issue, however, if it does, you need to delete everything after the file extension in the URL using Python or formatter.

Hope this helps

Hi @robschmidt 

I tried this, but for some reason it's not working. When I run a test, it comes ok, but at the end of my zap, it juts doesn't work. What I'm trying to do it:

1 - Collect the image from a Google Forms response

2 - Then transform the google drive URL that comes from the Google Forms and transform into an image

3 - Replace a variable in a Google Presentation with the image

But it's not working. Any guess why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@marinascheffer 

TIP: The GDrive where the files are hosted needs to be publicly available for it to work with the Zap.

You can test this by copy/pasting the image URL from the GForm into a private browser.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @weaousere and @marinascheffer!

Just checking in to see if you still need help with this? 

Please let us know, thanks!