Best answer

Filter step using missing sample data

Userlevel 1

Hi, I am trying to place a filter in a Zap, but the field that I want to filter for appears in the live Zap runs, but not in the sample data. The trigger is ‘Event Start’ in Google Calendar and I’m looking for the xxx__start__time field.

Is there a way to use the {{xxx__start__time}} custom pill mapping in a filter step when the sample data is missing?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I can’t seem to find anything specific to this.

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 May 2022, 01:27

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @marms_tj 

Good question.

I am trying to test the "Event Start" trigger, but it doesn't work

When testing an Event Start trigger in Google Calendar, ensure your test event is due to start at least 15 minutes before the current time.

Userlevel 1

Hi @marms_tj 

Good question.

I am trying to test the "Event Start" trigger, but it doesn't work

When testing an Event Start trigger in Google Calendar, ensure your test event is due to start at least 15 minutes before the current time.

Thanks for the help, the problem I have is that testing that particular trigger doesn’t pull in ‘real’ data from the calendar, just test data which is incomplete:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@marms_tj 

How to change your trigger step test data: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/change-the-test-data-in-your-zap-trigger

Userlevel 1

Thanks, I’ve tested it when there’s a current event happening now in the calendar, and it’s pulled in real data. The wording in the help document you linked to was a bit confusing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@marms_tj Glad you got things working here and thanks for letting us know that the help document was confusing! Are you up for sharing which part wasn’t clear and how we might be able to improve? I am happy to alert our documentation team and make some updates here!

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the reply, I think that it would benefit from saying something like:

“ensure there is an event in progress with a start time at least 15 minutes before the current time.”

This is only based on my understanding of how this specific trigger event works. I may be wrong but this is the scenario that pulled in a real test event for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks @marms_tj! I’ll go ahead and pass this feedback onto our documentation team. Cheers!