Best answer

exclude value from google sheet

• 1 July 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi

I want to exclude a DealID from a zap when it's found in a Google sheet.

Case is:

I have google sheet with DealID's that have already sent an e-mail. And if i receive an new dealID i want to check if the customer didn't get that e-mail. So if DealID (Value) is on the google sheet, it needs to stop. 

What i did
I checked of it’s possible with lookup of google sheet, but that errored, what is logical because he should not find anything.

With the formatatter ultilities i couldn’t worked it out also.

Does someone have an solution for me?

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 1 July 2020, 22:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

This feels like a use case for Filter by Zapier. Perhaps ONLY CONTINUE IF (email address) (does not exist) after the Google Sheets step.

Userlevel 1

@adamsmartschan 

It's not that simple, because it are deal id's. That are numbers. If an number is on that list you can't go continue, but you can't do an search because it isn’t there. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

That’s interesting. I’d be happy to take a look if you like! Tough to visualize out of context.

Userlevel 1

@adamsmartschan 

That shall be wonderfull.

What i do:

Step 1: receive an webhook with an Deal ID

Step 2: Check in Google Sheet if Deal ID is already be sent an e-mail. 

If not on the list: Continu; 

If well on the list: Stop zap.

Step 3: Send e-mail

Step 4: Add deal id to Google Sheet document

I don't know how to do an search with an empty result. May be i need to think different..

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@rikmaris I think that’s still possible to do with a filter step.

The problem is when the Google Sheets search step doesn’t find a result it will error UNLESS you check the box to create a row if it doesn’t exist. 

So you have multiple ways of solving this, I’ll try to present the most simplest way to solve it. 
Copying your steps from above and numbering them (filters are steps too!)

1. Step 1: receive an webhook with an Deal ID

2. Step 2: Check in Google Sheet if Deal ID exists - with the “Create Google Spreadsheets Row if it doesn’t exist yet?” 

You can put the Deal ID, but you don’t have to  put anything and it will create an empty row

The Cool part about it is when it doesn’t find the row and creates a row, it gives you a true/false statement that you can filter off of: 

3. If not on the list: Continu; If well on the list: Stop zap. Simply set your filter to check _zap_data_was_found if it’s false. Like this: 

4. Step 3 (now step 4): Send e-mail

5. Step 4(now step 5): Add deal id to Google Sheet document -- In this case you might want to modify the row from step 2 (which is an empty row) just use the output of step 2 (ID) as the Row and It’ll update the empty row so you don’t have too many empty rows. ex: 

Let us know how it goes and if that will work for you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @rikmaris!

Did you ever get a chance to try out the suggestion by @PaulKortman above, by any chance? If you still need help, please let us know!