Best answer

Evernote and Zapier - shared notebooks

• 2 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I've started using Zapier for an Evernote-Pushover zap (to send me a notification when I receive a new note in Evernote). Although the zap works on my Evernote inbox and folders that I've created, the problem is that it doesn't work for shared notebooks. This is where I really need to receive the notifications - for letting me know when my work colleague adds a note into that shared notebook!

For some reason Zapier can't find the shared notebook as it doesn't appear in the drop-down list when editing the zap. Does anyone know why and more importantly is there a workaround for this?

Many thanks!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 2 December 2019, 17:30

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @MMck

Looking here: https://zapier.com/apps/evernote/help - it seems that you can only write notes to notebooks you own - so my guess here is that it's this same restriction stopping you triggering on shared notebooks entries as well.

@Danvers can probably confirm for us.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi there @MMck, welcome to the community!

@AndrewJDavison_Luhhu is right - you can only trigger Zaps from notebooks that you own and not share notebooks, I'm sorry about that!

We do have a feature request open for this so I'll add you to that, which means that you'll get an email if/when that's added. I can't promise that we will be able to add the ability to use shared notebooks as it's a little complicated (related to the authorisation process), but I've added your vote for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good to know @Danvers! Might be worth updating the help docs to say that shared notebooks are off limits in all aspects - the page wasn't entirely clear on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for letting me know, @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu, I'll take a look!

Userlevel 7
Badge

I would imagine shared notebooks would be difficult to implement from a privacy point of view. Effectively you are giving Zapier, a third party, access to another person's notes. Have you tried sharing a private notebook and then changing it to shared? It may be a workaround.