Question

Duplicate links and blank emails being sent

• 8 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Context

1. We are running a query to identify appointments that are past 72 hrs and have not been closed/dispositioned
    • For example, if I am sales agent that had an appointment scheduled with a prospect on October 1st, 2021 and the appointment status is "Open" this process should be kicking out an email to me (cc'ing my manager) and attaching the appropriate link or links (depending on how many appointments are outstanding)
  2. That query is being pulled daily at 7AM on a cumulative basis (i.e. duplicates will appears) via our 1st Zap from our Business Intelligence tool Periscope into a CSV format for Google Sheets to ingest
  3. Then a 2nd Zap is being used to curate the data in order to deliver an email (cc'ing the agent's manager) and notifying the agent of appointments that need to be dispositioned.
  4. After an agent dispositions their appointment, the next day they should no longer receive an email for that specific appointment 
    1. The query will no longer flag/capture this appointment once it's been dispositioned but the appointment will continue to exist within the spreadsheet as I don't believe we have a process to update and remove items from the spreadsheet

Outcomes

1. Desired Output
    • I'm receiving emails like the one attached ("Desired Result of Appt. Reminder Trigger") that are triggering as expected (the correct appointment link is listed, no duplicate links are displaying and only 1 email is being sent per day per agent when the criteria is met (i.e. if no appointments meet the criteria for an agent then they should not receive a blank email)
  1. Unexpected Outcomes
    1. Simultaneously, we are receiving emails Issue_1 and Issue_2
      1. Issue_1
        1. Where there are emails being sent without an links 
        2. The blank email is being sent out to the same agent several times (i.e. Rohit would have received the same blank email at least 20 times from the one process we ran)
      2. Issue 2
        1. Duplicate links are being sent in one email

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bk1413 

Best to check your Zap Runs history details to troubleshoot: https://zapier.com/app/history/

There you can trace the data by looking at the DATA IN/OUT for each triggered Zap step.

Hopefully that will help you isolate the root issues and determine a solution to implement.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone - this is helpful I didn’t notice the Data In and Data Out tabs. 

When I look at the history for this one particular Zap, I was expecting to see one line item per day (we only would trigger this zap once a day) but I’m noticing the zap has multiple line items in the history? Is the zap looking to each row within our google sheet and that’s why we’re seeing multiple logs here?

@Troy Tessalone  It appears each zap is not continuing due to this filter condition, but now I’m wondering how to tell which Count is the appropriate count to use as it’s not clear what the difference is between 3. Count vs. 5. Count and so on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@bk1413 

For the Count, the number at the start (3, 5) indicates the Zap Step the data point is related to.

Zaps trigger on a per record basis, which may explain why there are lots of Zaps triggering if lots of new rows are being added.

From the screenshots, we can’t tell what the GSheet trigger is, but it’s one of these: