Best answer

Do Zoom meeting passwords need to be hard-coded?

• 9 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi, per this previous post, it reads like Zoom meeting passwords need to be hard-coded?  I.e. they are manually entered and cannot be passed in from previous steps, e.g. a Code Block.

I’m workiing on a Zoom Zap, and the Zoom password doesn’t appear to get automatically generated.  When the field is left blank, the Join URL contains no ?pwd=...

Is this a feature request which is being developed?  It seems pretty insecure to re-use passwords; preventatively cumbersome to update them regularly; and quite easy to generate new ones in a code block, e.g.

function makeZoomPassword(length) {
let result = '';
const characters = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789';
const charactersLength = characters.length;
for (let i = 0; i < length; i++) {
result += characters.charAt(Math.floor(Math.random() * charactersLength));
}
return result;
}

let password = makeZoomPassword(9);

// Test for "must contain a digit"
if (/\d/.test(password) == false) {
const nums = '0123456789';
let randomNumber = nums[Math.floor(Math.random() * nums.length)];
let replacementIndex = Math.floor(Math.random() * password.length);
password = password.replace(password[replacementIndex], randomNumber);
}

// Test for "must contain a lowercase letter"
if (/[a-z]/.test(password) == false) {
const lowerCase = 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz';
const randomLowerCase = lowerCase[Math.floor(Math.random() * lowerCase.length)];
const lowerCaseReplaceIndex = Math.floor(Math.random() * password.length);
password = password.replace(password[lowerCaseReplaceIndex], randomLowerCase);
}

// Test for "must contain a lowercase letter"
if (/[A-Z]/.test(password) == false) {
const upperCase = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ';
const randomUpperCase = upperCase[Math.floor(Math.random() * upperCase.length)];
const upperCaseReplaceIndex = Math.floor(Math.random() * password.length);
password = password.replace(password[upperCaseReplaceIndex], randomUpperCase);
}

output = [{'Password': password}]

If anyone else is interested in this feature, I hope the above code is useful to you.

Best

icon

Best answer by christina.d 10 November 2021, 21:01

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Odd, when I create a Zoom meeting in Zapier using my personal accounts for Zoom and Zapier (rather than the production accounts), there is a password created with the Join URL:

Perhaps this is a Zoom setting, but comparing the two Zoom accounts, they both have the “Embed passcode” option selected:

Any suggestions? :confused:

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Only zoom setting difference I can garner is that the production account has the “Personal Meeting ID (PMI) Passcode” turned off:

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Well, toggling the PMI Passcode had no effect on getting the Zapier generated Zoom meeting to contain a embedded passcode in the invite link :\ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @mixelpix, welcome to the Community! :)

It looks like the Zoom integration doesn’t currently allow for the autogeneration of passwords so you’d need to set one using a static value. Or as you discovered, it’s also possible to use a dynamic value from a Code step to generate a unique password.

We have a feature request open for the Create Meeting action to generate a password without the need for one to be entered into the Password field. So I’ve added your vote for that feature request. I can’t share an ETA on when that will be sorted but we’ll be sure to email you once it is. 

In the meantime, it sounds like leaving the Password field blank in the Zap only results in the password being automatically generated for personal Zoom accounts. So it seems like there may be some difference in the way the Zoom integration handles the different account types that is affecting the way it creates the join links for each of them. Could it be a difference in the Zoom account’s plan or role of the connected user perhaps?

You could maybe try creating the meeting using a Webhooks by Zapier action to see if that generates the password and adds the encrypted password to the join url correctly for the production account. I’ve not tested this myself, but if you’re interested in trying it, I’d recommend checking out our Send webhooks in Zaps guide and referencing Zoom’s API documentation for more information.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @SamB

Would it be possible to add a feature request?  The create Zoom meeting action does NOT allow input data for the password.  If this were an option I could use a Code block to generate a unique password with each task run AND get the passcode embedded link.

Best

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@samB

To clarify, the “Create Meeting in Zoom” action only allows for a blank or manually typed in password.  If it is typed in, the same password will be used with every meeting created by the action.

Being able to pass in a value as input data would be a great feature.

This feature would also get past the observed differences in Zoom account behaviour from accounts which have the same password settings (still investigating this discrepency)

to illustrate:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for the details, @mixelpix! It’s super helpful and appreciated! 

It looks like Sam went ahead and added your vote to an existing feature request to dynamically set a password for a Zoom meeting! That being said, while we’re always more than happy to add users to existing feature requests here in the community, creating new ones is best handled by our friends in support.

If that’s not quite what you’re looking to achieve, feel free to drop an email with them here and they’re happy to get a new feature request squared away for you. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us! It’s valued and truly helps us to improve the product. :slight_smile: