Question

Delays in Zap running (Google Sheets and Discord)

• 15 January 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I’m new here and just started using Zapier 🙂 Before starting bigger work I wanted to test how this tool works so I created some very simple Zap for tests but it doesnt work as I expected.

So from beginning:
Simple task - When there is change in cell in Google Sheets send message to Discord channel.

I created very simple Google Sheet for test:

In A1 and A2 there is text which is not changing.
In A3 there is function =hour(now()), so it change every hour (right now it’s 21:29, so there is “21” in A3).
Sheet calculate settings: “On change and every minute”

Zap settings:

As I understand Zapier should check for updates every 5-15min (depending on the subscribed plan). In my case it means Bot should send message in every first 5-15min of the hour, for example:
13:00-13:15
15:00-15:15
18:00-18:15

But here are some exaples when message was sent to Discord:

So it tooks even 49min after value in A3 was changed.

All Zap runs are marked as green “Success”, no errors.

Can someone explain me where is the problem? Why it detects changes and sends a message so late?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @NelsonV 

The Google Sheets trigger is marked "instant" but it still takes a few minutes to trigger

The triggers for Google Sheets are unique among Zapier triggers. When there is a trigger event in the spreadsheet, Zapier gets a notification webhook from Google about this. After that, Zapier sends Google Sheets a request for new data, so it uses both the polling and instant trigger methods. This process takes about 3 minutes overall.

While not being "instant", these triggers are faster than regular polling ones, as they don't depend on the polling interval of the plan your account uses.

The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering

If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column. If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value. You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.

For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger. If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.