Best answer

Add recurring events from one Google Calendar to another

• 29 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to automatically copy new events from my personal calendar to my work calendar. This should be easy, and for the most part it is.

But when the new event is recurring, it seems to be impossible to copy that recurrence. In the Action for Create Detailed Events, Zapier shows several fields involving repeating events, but none of them match the information that the new Google Calendar event provides.

Zapier has Repeat Frequency, Repeat Until, Repeat How Many Times, but the Google Calendar data just has Recurrence with an RRULE string, for example “RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=TH.”

So, if you try to use the Frequency, Until, or How Many Times fields, there’s no data to pull from. The only option is to not use the fields at all or to type in a number, date, or number … but those will be the used for every event copied, not the correct and specific recurrence for each new event. 

This is so very weird to me. Shouldn’t this be possible? Has Zapier just not updated the Action to manage the RRULE information? Or is my Zap just impossible to do? It boggles my mind that something as simple as copying an event from one calendar to another, which is done in two clicks in Calendar itself, would be so difficult in to automate!

Of course I could be doing something very wrong, and if there’s a way to fix this or a workaround to use, please let me know!

icon

Best answer by Janine_Anderson 1 October 2021, 15:51

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tgideonser 

Why not share your calendar between the 2 Google Accounts?

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/37082?hl=en

Userlevel 1

Because I am trying to create a public calendar with my personal events automatically copied over but made private. But this is clearly not possible with Zapier’s limitations.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hey @tgideonser ! I just stumbled across this post and wonder if instead of trying to set up a recurrence in your newly created event through your Zap, you set up something a bit more simple, that just automatically copied over new events, whenever they are scheduled from your personal calendar to your work calendar.

That should allow Zapier to create a new event in your work calendar for every repeated instance of the event in your personal calendar. 

Here’s a tutorial on how to set it up: https://zapier.com/blog/automatically-copy-events-from-one-google-calendar-to-another/

Let me know if that works for you!