Question

Creating a Zap to make sure Calendar invite has proper details

• 11 November 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I’m new to using zaps / creating them, but love the potential I think they could have.  I’d love to set up a zap that can go through my calendar and look at all the appointments and for those that have this symbol <> check to ensure there is at least 1 additional person on the invite and it that it has either a location or a zoom link.  I’ve been searching around this site and online and haven’t found anything that fits this bill.  Any suggestions on how to do this?  Or if there is a stock zap I could use?

Cheers!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Eric416, nice to hear you discovered Zapier; it opened a whole new world for me when I found out about Zapier! :)

Would you like to apply this to events already added to your calendar or for Any future events? For example, a zap that checks for these details one hour after you or someone else created the event.

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

I’d like to be able to run a check on everything currently in my calendar, and then have it set to check future events as they’re added. 

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

For any events with a date in the futre you could try something like this.

First one zap which triggers every day at a specific time, which creates a worksheet in a spreadsheet, and stores the current date with ‘Storage by Zapier’. After that, it posts to a Zapier Webhook.

When this first Zap posts to the Zapier Webhook, a second Zap is triggered. This is a looping Zap. The second step will be used the second time the zap runs. It will get the value stored by the first Zap, and look in Google Calendar for the first upcoming event which follows your required filter. Then it will put the needed details in the created worksheet.

It will then store the end date of the event in ‘Storage by Zapier’ as the new date value. Then it will post again to the webhook in step one, and this repeats. After a while, you will have a worksheet filled with all events following your filter requirements. When the last event is added, step 8 allows the zap to continue. All lines in the worksheet will be pulled, and then the ‘Loop by Zapier’ in step 10 will allow you to do with this data what you want (for example, send a message in Slack for every calendar item not having a location and/or people invited)

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

If you just want it to check the location and invited guests one hour after an event is created, you could set up something simpler like this

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the info here.  I will play around with both of these and see which one works best for my needs.

Userlevel 1

@mzsadiek I’m finally getting around to testing these.  I tried to replicate your first solution, however I don’t have a “store” option - I have created a spreadsheet.  

If I try your second solution, will that only check new meetings as they are created?  Is there any way to check a full day of meetings without having to upgrade? (I’m currently on the starter plan)

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Eric416! @mzsadiek is using an app called Storage by Zapier in the workflow they shared. That is where the “store” step is coming from. 

As for the meetings, yes, the Zap only checks data that is created after the Zap is turned on. That said, we do have new functionality called Transfer, which will allow you to pull over existing data for a handful of supported apps. Luckily for you, Google Calendar is one of those apps. :wink:

Give those a try and let us know how you make out here!