Best answer

Create new project in Teamwork and Harvest

• 21 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

I am wanting to create a project with an existing client in Teamwork which is then created in Harvest (that also has the same existing client). 

So far as I can understand, this is the error occurring: 

1. Create project in Teamwork - working
  2. Add client to project in Teamwork - working
  3. Create project in Harvest with same name - working
  4. ERROR: cannot find client 

This is for clients that already exist on both Teamwork and Harvest. So I believe the issue is to do with the Client_ID for the same client are different in the two platforms. So Zapier is looking for the same Client_ID, rather than the same name.

APPARENT SOLUTIONS: 

Look up table: I have researched this and determined that this is not an option as we list hundreds of clients so it is just not feasible for us to keep adding new clients to Zapier everyday just for this automation to work. 

Instead, this can be solved by using webhooks. However, I am unsure how to include a dynamic URL as the URL for each client would be different each time in Harvest (the end webpoint). 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by steph.n 2 June 2020, 20:22

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Courtney BB ,

Thanks for reaching out and apologies for the delayed response!

To make sure you receive the best possible answer here, I am escalating this to our support team as they can dig into your specific Zap and webhooks to troubleshoot. 

They will be in touch just as soon as they can!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Courtney BB, it's nice to see that you were able to get in contact with Shalyn and Laura from Zapier Support. We think the solution you mentioned would be worth sharing to the rest of the community so here it is:

When a lookup table doesn't help because the size of the list is too big, we recommend using a Lookup Spreadsheet Row step for Google Sheets. The idea is that you'd build a lookup table in a Google Sheets spreadsheet: one column for the IDs or names (whichever is unique) in Teamwork, and one column for IDs from Harvest. Then, by searching in the sheet we can find the appropriate ID and pass it on to Harvest.

The downside is that it still requires maintaining the spreadsheet up to date. But I can see you have a Zap that creates clients in Harvest, so you could add a new step here to add a row to the spreadsheet each time a client is created. This would add both the ID from Teamwork and the ID from Harvest into the spreadsheet, ensuring the other Zap has a constant source of truth.