Best answer

Create a Google Sheets Worksheet AND Create Spreadsheet Row(s)

• 28 February 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out which way to do this. I'd like my Zap to take some nominal form data from Gravity Forms and spit it out into a Google Sheets file. But I want each new form to create its own worksheet. I've got step one, but I noticed that the "Create Worksheet in Google Sheets" step does not include the ability to input row data.

Assuming I have to create another step that then creates the row data, how can I programmatically select my brand new worksheet from the last step? It won't have been created yet and Zapier seems to want an existing Worksheet during setup.

I've tried setting a Custom Value for the Worksheet ID based on the ID from the previous step, but Zapier is throwing an error. Either I'm doing this incorrectly, or it won't work this way. Any ideas?

image.pngcc: @AndrewJDavison_Luhhu

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 28 February 2020, 15:09

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 1

I just tried this again, and it’s not working for me anymore -- as soon as I make the change, it gives me an error message in the sidebar:

Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh, the beauty of janky workarounds. Thanks Andrew!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi

First create a Google Sheet workbook that has the exact same columns and headers as the duplicate workbook will.

In your zap, select that workbook in the dropdown and then map the column fields accordingly.

Then, at the last moment, change the dropdown back to "Use custom value" again and re-map your step 2 ID.

Without touching anything else, skip through testing that step and set the zap live.

What you'll notice is, it runs fine without error.

Alas, if you ever need to edit that step, once you open it, you'll see the error again, but just cycle through the steps above and go live again.