Best answer

copying data in google sheets: values, not formulas

• 29 July 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all! I need a way of copying data from one google sheet to another. However, it must only be the numerical values within the sheet that are copied, and not the formulas that are generating them. 

A Zapier staff member has said this isn’t possible using the standard ‘copy sheet’ action, and there is not another way of doing it in one step. So I’m putting it out to you! I’m open to finding a less direct solution (ie potentially: exporting sheet as .csv file, then re-importing into google sheets?) - does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks very much!

icon

Best answer by AndrewJDavison_Luhhu 29 July 2020, 14:02

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @mungle88 

Your workaround sounds plausible. If you do a “Google Drive - Find File” step and get it to find your Google Sheet, you’ll see one of the (many) URLs you get back from that is the download link for a CSV version of that file.

What you could then do is use a “Formatter->Utilities→Extract CSV” step - passing in the URL as the input value - to get those line items out and then a “Google Sheets->Create Spreadsheet Row(s)” (« make sure to pick the plural version of the action step), to write the rows back to a Google Sheet.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Andrew, I’ll give this a go