Question

Can the Zap trigger only the main message and not thread replies?

• 6 May 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey Zapier Community!

Is there a way for the “New Message Posted to Channel in Slack” to  trigger only the main message and NOT for threaded replies in the selected channel? I’m trying to integrate the Slack-Airtable and need only the main message posted to slack to be sent to airtable and not the replies in the thread

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @nbharadwaj 

I do not think you will be able to stop it from triggering but you can filter it out. You should get back two fields in your trigger Ts Time and Thread Ts Time. If you set up a filter to only trigger when those two fields are equal, that will stop thread replies but allow main messages through

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@nbharadwaj 
Just checking in to see if you still need help with this? 

Userlevel 1

Hello! I’m trying to accomplish the same thing, but when I add this filter, it doesn’t send any messages - main or threaded.

Here’s what I have set up

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @emilyly 

I believe that is because that trigger no longer returns the Thread Ts Time when it is a brand new post. 

The filter should now look like the below. In your configuration test, this will always be false as the sample data will have a thread ts (even on new messages) but in a live environment it will not. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you! That seemed to do the trick. Out of curiosity, what does “Ts” stand for in “Thread Ts Time”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @emilyly!

I could be wrong, but I always thought it was for “timestamp”. It sounds kind of redundant to say Thread timestamp time, though 😛 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I would agree with @nicksimard I have always just assumed it was timestamp. Though, I think the reason the field says ‘Thread Ts Time’ is because there are two fields that mean the same thing. Thread Ts returns the timestamp in Unix time (i.e 1627063543) and Thread Ts Time returns the timestamp but in a more human readable way ( I think in ISO format)