Best answer

Can PageProof trigger Asana to change a custom field?

• 27 February 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

I just signed up to Zapier and am struggling to figure out if what I want to do is possible or not. I've just set my team up on Asana recently and we have our own custom job ID that we populate in a text field of each task. There is a similar feature in PageProof where you can type a custom reference for each proof.

Two connected questions:

1. How can I set up Zapier to know which Asana task relates to which PageProof proof using our custom job numbers?
  2. Can Zapier then tell Asana to update a custom field? eg we have a dropdown field called "art status" which has two options, "Working" or "On Proof". I would like this to update automatically every time a new version is proofed or new to-dos are received.

Is this even possible?

icon

Best answer by Danvers 9 March 2020, 11:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @Dz1na, thanks for writing to our community! Happy to help here.

To direct you to the right places to get help, I suggest checking out our cool app integrations here: https://zapier.com/apps/pageproof/integrations/asana - I picked the two apps that you mentioned in this message in hopes that you can see what Actions and Triggers are possible to setup your Zap.

1. I would use our Search Step when you're setting up the Action step for Asana. That way you can tell the zap which Asana task relates to which PageProof proof by your custom job numbers.
  2. I would create a zap as Pageproof's "New Proof started" and the action would be Asana's "Update Task" including a search step to find the matching task. From there, I would definitely apply only one dropdown option such as "working." Create a separate, but duplicate zap to do "On Proof" as a selection.

I recommend playing around and making a zap to test out our suggestions OR to simply discover all the endless possibilities we can help! If you have further questions, please let me know.

Userlevel 3

Thanks @Stephanie, I'm trying to add the search step but I'm unsure how to specify the task to look for. It's asking me to include the task name as a required field, but actually I want to match to a job number which exists in a custom text field within each Asana task.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.12.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 1.20.59 PM.png

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Dz1na!

You can only search for a task using the task ID or task name - it's not possible to search using another field within the task, sorry about that!

Theoretically you could work around this by creating a spreadsheet with all of the task IDs and all of the job numbers in the custom field (which you could update using a Zap like New task in asana --> new spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets). You could then have the Zap search the Google Sheet for the value in the job numbers and match that to a task ID.

Userlevel 3

@Danvers Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I don't think it would be worth the trouble to set up - my goal is to simplify and streamline my workflow, and this seems like it would be progress in the opposite direction. It sounds like Asana's limitations prevents me from doing what I want with Zapier for now sadly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Dz1na I completely understand, it's not a particularly streamlined workaround. I'm sorry that the Asana Zapier integration doesn't do what you need it to currently 😞