Question

Assign specific tag to subscribers in Mailchimp based on email in Outlook?

• 13 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hoping I can get some help here. My goal is to add tags to my Mailchimp contacts in an easy way, ideally via Outlook as that it what i use. I don’t have gmail as my company is on an office 365 platform.

I currently have 10 tags setup in Mailchimp. When I get an email from a new prospect, I want to assign certain tags to them based on who they are ex. general, warm lead, follow up etc etc.

Further to that, I also would like to find a way to tag people I already have email addresses for. This would be if the lead became a client, I can then tag them with client specific tags. So far, I have come up with just moving their contact to a different contact group in Outlook, which is the trigger and them move them thru all the contact groups as each has their own action to Mailchimp tags - a bit tedious.

Any suggestion on how I can use Zapier mail to implement this? or Parser? or maybe excel? Maybe an email forward which can extract the name and email address and I type in the tags I want

TIA!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @broker78,

Maybe you could categorize the emails in Outlook to indicate what type of lead they are?

I ask as I believe the email category should come over from Outlook. In which case, you could use a Formatter (Utilities > Lookup Table) step to convert the name of the categories used in Outlook to the tag reference that Mailchimp is looking for. Then in the Mailchimp step that adds the tag, you’d select the tag that’s output from the Lookup Table step.  

Another Formatter step could be used to extract text from the email but depending on what you want to extract you may need a few Formatter steps. So it may be better to use an app like Email Parser as the trigger instead as it will be able to parse out the text from the body of the email into different fields for you to select as desired. And you could set up Rules in Outlook to send the emails over to Email Parser. If you’ve not used Email Parser I’d recommend checking out this guide for more info: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails  

With the updating of existing subscribers in MailChimp, I think you’ll want to use a Mailchimp Find Subscriber search action to look for them - it also has the ability to create a new subscriber if one isn’t found. Then you’d follow that up with a Mailchimp Add Subscriber to Tag action.

I hope that helps to point you in the right direction! :)

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the idea, however there isn’t a way to use the Category in Outlook via Zapier. It’s not a field that can be looked up nor can it be used as a trigger! I know with Gmail you can accomplish this but sadly not with Outlook or Office 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @broker78 

If the Category data point doesn’t come thru from Outlook, then consider forwarding your emails to an email parsing inbox, then use that as a Zap trigger.

Email Parser by Zapier: https://zapier.com/apps/email-parser/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Mailparser: https://zapier.com/apps/mailparser/integrations