Best answer

Asana * Zapier Integration

• 18 March 2020
  • 3 replies

I am wanting to synchronize ZenDesk tickets with Asana tasks, and Zapier looked like the perfect solution, but so far, the results are disappointing.  I am new to Zapier, and wondering if anyone else has experience with this, if perhaps I am missing something (or if Zapier just isn’t the right tool for the).

ZenDesk => Asana

• I was able to get a new ZenDesk ticket to create a new Asana task, but the only information copied to Asana is the Task/Ticket title.  is there any way to get the description or other fields to copy over?
  • I don’t see a way to link my ZenDesk ticket to an Asana task, such that the Asana task is updated or closed when the same happens in ZenDesk.  is there a way to do this?
    • (I can create a new zap for a given ZenDesk ticket triggered on a ZenDesk “Action” on that ticket, but that would mean adding a zap manually for each new ZenDesk ticket, which is unmanageable.)
  • Only 2 of my 10 or so ZenDesk Views are visible in the Zap setup.  Is there a trick to making the rest of them show up?

Asana => ZenDesk

• I can get ZenDesk to create a new Ticket when a new Asana task is created, but I have to hard-code the ZenDesk ticket title in the zap, meaning not even the Asana title is copied over, and this zap also does not seem to copy over the task description or other fields.
  • If I have this zap turned on at the same time as the ZenDesk => Asana zap, I get multiple tickets in ZenDesk, as if it is going into some kind of loop.  I am guessing that two-way integration is not possible(?).

If anyone has any experience with this, I would appreciate some hints for getting more out of these zaps, or alternative approaches.

Kermit

icon

Best answer by steph.n 20 March 2020, 19:20

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @KermitGMan - Welcome to the community and to Zapier! Bummer that you’re having troubles getting started, but let’s see how we work together to resolve your issues you’re running into.

Click here if you want a great introduction to Zapier!

Now that you’ve read all of the primer materials for how to use Zapier, let’s dig into your questions! 

ZenDesk to Asana:

1. I was able to get a new ZenDesk ticket to create a new Asana task, but the only information copied to Asana is the Task/Ticket title.  is there any way to get the description or other fields to copy over? - You can map your ZenDesk ticket description to the Notes field in “Customize Task” step of your zap.
  2. I don’t see a way to link my ZenDesk ticket to an Asana task, such that the Asana task is updated or closed when the same happens in ZenDesk.  is there a way to do this? - You may do this by creating a new, separate zap that triggers when a “Completed Task in Asana” occurs, with a Search step to find the exact matching ZenDesk ticket to close out. A third zap using “Updated Task in Project in Asana” could also be used to update a ZenDesk ticket, too. I agree that it’s unmanageable to create a new zap each time, but if you set the Search step, it should help trigger this zap when you’re in Asana without having to create a new zap each time.
  3. Only 2 of my 10 or so ZenDesk Views are visible in the Zap setup.  Is there a trick to making the rest of them show up? - This is correct. What you’re seeing is a sample of the data we’re bringing in, not every single ZenDesk Views. I’m unfamiliar with ZenDesk views but I would start by making sure that all the views are public, shared or accessible to view to collect into your zap.

Asana to ZenDesk: 

1. I can get ZenDesk to create a new Ticket when a new Asana task is created, but I have to hard-code the ZenDesk ticket title in the zap, meaning not even the Asana title is copied over, and this zap also does not seem to copy over the task description or other fields. - I believe I have address this in #1 above. But in case it’s unclear, after you’ve made your “New ticket in ZenDesk” you will need to input Asana’s Name = ZenDesk Subject and Asana Notes = ZenDesk Description like this

1. If I have this zap turned on at the same time as the ZenDesk => Asana zap, I get multiple tickets in ZenDesk, as if it is going into some kind of loop.  I am guessing that two-way integration is not possible(?). - This is possible if you put a Search step to ensure that each item is found and updated instead of creating a new ZD ticket or Asana task.

Give these pointers a shot and let us know if you have any further questions!

@steph.n I am focusing on “ZenDesk to Asana:”

1. That worked!  Thank you very much.
  2. You answered Asana => Zendesk, but I am looking for ZenDesk => Asana.  The only relevant ZenDesk trigger I see is “New Action on a Ticket in ZenDesk.”  Under Customize Action, it requires the selection of a specific ticket in ZenDesk, which seems to imply I would have to create a new Zap for every new ticket in ZenDesk.  This would not be practical or useful.  Is there any way to trigger a Zap on the New Action on any ticket in ZenDesk?
  3. I got around this by hard-coding the view ID.  Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @KermitGMan - At this time, the feature you are requesting doesn’t exist as a zap. I’ve gone ahead and added this request to our wish list. You’ll be notified if we have an update to share. 

However, I did find this workaround:

1. You may create a trigger for updates in Zendesk (https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203662106
  2. And then having that notify an external target (https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203662136)
  3. Which you can use to create a Zapier webhook.