Best answer

Airtable > Asana: Create ONE task when a view changes

• 9 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m trying to create one task when a certain view in Airtable changes (new records coming in). The problem I have is that it’s always creating as many tasks as new line items are added in Airtable.

Already messed around with Zapier Digest, but that didn’t help either.

Any idea how to accomplish that behavior?

Best,

Andreas

icon

Best answer by Lxshld 19 June 2020, 09:47

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Danvers for that idea. It kind of works. We did a workaround and saved a counter number (with storage) in an external sheet. If there is an update in the sheet a second zap gets launched. Pretty ugly but the only way to accomplish that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Lxshld!

It sounds like this Zap is running into trouble because every line item that’s added to Airtable creates a new record, and each new record creates a change in the view, which triggers the Zap. 

Is there something that’s common between line items that might be added? I’m wondering if you could create some sort of manual ‘deduplication’ using Google Sheets .

To do that, you’d add a Google Sheets Lookup Spreadsheet Row step into the Zap. That will either find an existing row based on the search criteria or add a new row if one doesn’t exist. You can then use a filter to tell the Zap ‘only continue if you added a new row,  and stop if you found an existing one’. If there’s something common in the line items (even if it’s the time that is was added) then the Google sheets step will only add one new task in asana each time a number of rows are added. 

You might find some other ideas in this thread: How can you create your own deduplication?