Best answer

Adding a checkbox to a google sheet?

• 29 April 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a zap that adds a new row to a google sheet with each new lead we get. How can I have one of the cells be a checkbox? I can add the true/false checkbox in the sheet manually but cannot find any documentation on adding it via Zapier.

icon

Best answer by Liz_Roberts 30 April 2020, 20:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @johnrhopkins ,

Thanks for reaching out- great question! This is doable with a few steps and a bit of a workaround provided by my colleague! Check out this GIF and steps below:

1. Initially you will have nothing in the column (where you aim to include the checkbox)
  2. Use the Zap to add TRUE or FALSE as text
  3. Highlight the data in the column and click Insert >checkbox
  4. Result: a check box being added with ticks/empty as appropriate

The thing to remember is that this will not work if the checkboxes are added prior to turning on the Zap (the Zap will think that the row is full and will add the row underneath the checkboxes)! So you would need to add the data from the Zap, then select it and turn it into checkboxes.

Let us know how it goes or if you have any additional questions!

Userlevel 1

Thanks. That doesn’t provide any real benefit (removing manual processes) since adding the checkbox automatically defaults to “False”. So, there is no way for Zapier to tell the sheet that it should be a checkbox?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @johnrhopkins ,

I’m sorry there isn’t a more streamlined way to achieve this workflow! The above workaround does contain a few steps which I understand doesn’t necessarily alleviate the manual processes as you would hope. 

I know that is not the answer you were hoping for but please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Userlevel 1

Hey Mate, needed to do the same thing and found a work around. Keep your zap as is, and create a second tab using the query function to pull in your data. From there, add your column validation for tick boxes. Turn on your filters, and it should give you what you want. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That’s great! Thanks for sharing, @Bdegregory !