Best answer

Add a custom field to a trigger?

• 10 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey! :wave:

I’m still in the learning stages with Zapier, and have a use case that has me stumped. So here I am!

Some context:

• I have a zap that watches for new updates to an RSS feed, then creates a new record in an Airtable base with data from the feed. 

• To make it tangible, the RSS feed tells me when there is a new episode of a show, and the zap sends episode data to Airtable.

• Trouble is, and what has me stuck: the RSS feed data does not include the name of the show that the episode belongs to. This makes life difficult on the Airtable side as I can’t automatically associate new episode records to the parent show. 

I thought that it could solve things if Zapier allowed me to include a manual data field in the trigger record. So for example, if my zap was watching for any new episodes of The Office (I wish...), I could add a text string label/tag ‘the-office’, which would be included in all new records created in Airtable, thus allowing me to link the episode details to the show.

Alternatively, and maybe even simpler, it would solve my problem if I was able to send the name of the zap as a data field in the trigger. But doesn’t look like that’s possible. 

Hopefully that frames things well enough. Thanks for reading this far, and in advance if you have any ideas! :pray:

icon

Best answer by steph.n 3 September 2020, 07:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Digging deeper: the RSS feeds actually do have a show description which includes an Author field (aka exactly what I need!), but doesn’t look like Zapier pulls those in for use in triggers. 

Still gladly accepting any hacks/workaround, but seems like maybe this is a feature request to send Zapier to improve the RSS feature… 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @pinny - Thanks for the topic! Sorry we missed your request. I’ve gone and added you to the feature request on your behalf. That does a few things:

- Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
- Help track interest in this feature being implemented
- Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!